How to Lock the Feature Construction Toolbar?

06-10-2011 03:58 AM
BenCobbing
New Contributor II
I need some help locking the Feature Construction Toolbar.  Whenever I start to digitise, the Feature Construction Toolbar pops up and, without fail, it manages to appear exactly where I want to place my next vertex.  I have tried moving the Toolbar into other areas, but it just jumps back into my View Window when I continue digitising.  How can I lock this somewhere outside the View Window while digitising?
Cheers.  Ben.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
CoryMacNeil1
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Ben,

I don't think you can dock the toolbar, it just keeps reappearing.  It is meant to be near where you are editing for quick changes in tool usage.  The key to getting it out of the way is the hit the TAB key, which moves it to another location on the screen.

I hope this helps.
Cory
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
In addition to Cory's suggestion on using the TAB key, pressing SHIFT+TAB hides the toolbar temporarily.

You can also turn off the display of mini toolbars on the General tab of the Editing Options dialog box.

The Feature Construction toolbar
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks Tim. This has been seriously bugging me since switching to 10. Why did ESRI think putting a toolbar in the way of making edits would help? They couldn't leave well enough alone?
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks for your feedback. In the next release of ArcGIS, we are looking at making the Feature Construction toolbar more effective and easier to use.

ArcGIS 10.1 is currently in beta, so I would encourage you to apply to join the beta program and let us know what you think: https://betacommunity.esri.com
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
In addition to Cory's suggestion on using the TAB key, pressing SHIFT+TAB hides the toolbar temporarily.

You can also turn off the display of mini toolbars on the General tab of the Editing Options dialog box.

The Feature Construction toolbar

That's great! i like this answer!

regards

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Thanks for your feedback. In the next release of ArcGIS, we are looking at making the Feature Construction toolbar more effective and easier to use.

ArcGIS 10.1 is currently in beta, so I would encourage you to apply to join the beta program and let us know what you think: https://betacommunity.esri.com

Hi Rhonda,

when ESRI is releasing ArcGIS 10.1?

How about the very basic features like the ones developed in ET geowizards, ET geotools, Xtools, Maplogic?

why not to include all the very simple basic features? we are struggling each single day of the size of the work around!!!!!

we need an integrated package of ArcGIS!

in each new version, we just find very few new features! although the pages of "ideas" is still full of suggestions!

regards

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
AndrewAslesen
New Contributor II
Thanks Tim. This has been seriously bugging me since switching to 10. Why did ESRI think putting a toolbar in the way of making edits would help? They couldn't leave well enough alone?

X2, only ESRI could come up with something so annoying that actually can figure out where you want to put your next vertex and then proceed to block you with an annoying, useless mini tool bar that you have to more or delete before you can proceed with your editing! Bravo ESRI, and please continue to find ways to annoy me.

Thanks for helping me figure out how to get rid of that thing!
0 Kudos
TimothyMills
New Contributor
Thank you for the answers in this thread, I came very very close to needing to replace my monitor due to dropkick damage.
0 Kudos
WilliamWillis
New Contributor II
Bravo ESRI, and please continue to find ways to annoy me.

Haha that's true.

Here's another thought, you can add the individual tools from the Feature Construction toolbar onto another existing toolbar that you may have docked.  This way you can still have those tools easily accessible but not have that super annoying toolbar popup.  Then uncheck the box to display the mini toolbar under the General Tab in the Editing Options dialog box like "thales007" originally posted.

Also, another pop-up that's annoying is the the little selection chip pop-up.  Please get out of my way!
0 Kudos