How to export calibrated Route to table

10-18-2017 08:53 AM
ZachSchenk
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I've got what I would imagine is a relatively unique challenge. I have a route layer that I've created and calibrated with a series of other layers. I can currently take any GPS co-ordinate and convert it to a mileage. Now what I need to do is to take this route layer and export it so that others can see it in a table format (CSV, SQL, etc).

In case this sounds confusing, I'll try to explain it another way: I'm trying to take a route layer (where I can only see the mileage by using the "Identify Route Location" tool) and make it such that I can I have a table that looks like the attached table below.

I would imagine that there should be a way to simply export the route in order to do this, but any method to achieve the table below should be fine. It is important to note that I need the mileage to increase at a steady rate (ideally 0.001 miles but there is some flexibility). 

I hope what I'm asking for is clear, but if not please let me know below and I will attempt to clarify  Thanks in advance!

-Zach

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
  • convert the points to a polyline
  • densify the polyline to your desired spacing,
  • convert the densified polyline to a point file

all assumes an appropriate license level to perform the first step

ZachSchenk
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan,

Any advice for if you can't convert your densified polyline to a point file? (I have a standard license, and I believe that tool requires an advanced license)

Thanks,

Zach

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes... but it is a workaround that I have blogged about.

FeatureClassToNumPyArray   with the fields you want and the densified features exploded to points

Numpyarraytofeatureclass         to get it back to a point file

But I would have done all the work in Numpy in any event

0 Kudos
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

At my operations, we have collectors that submit data in Lat/Long from GPS, phones and other devices.  I too use a linear route system, Dan Patterson (suggestion has got me intrigued never thought about doing it that way).  But to get back to your question...I have a requirement that each lat/long must have a "Route" number associated to it.  With that, I had to develop a program that would: 

• filter my route system by the route number,
  • create a point for the lat/long,
  • then "SNAP"  the point to the linear referencing system  (Note due to filtering there would be only one line to snap too)  
  • then read/calculate the "Measure."  (your case it would be Mileage)

I  use ArcObject along with dot Net programming to accomplish this.

Although I have never tried...but theoretically you could perform all the steps manually without any special licensing....I know arc-objects honors all licensing and this bit I use that follows the above steps uses only that that is found with a standard GIS license. (If the models would accept Linear Referencing techniques like returning the measure...this could be incorporated within a model).... but alas the modeling tools do not.

0 Kudos