How to create grid boxes to average values in ArcGIS

Jump to solution
08-04-2016 04:37 PM
Highlighted
New Contributor II

I have some points feature and I want to get rid of some 'noises' by putting them in the boxes and averaging their values.

Can anyone give some ideas how to do this in ArcGIS?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I guess you missed this part in the help topic

geometry_type

(Optional)

Determines if the output fishnet cells will be polyline or polygon features.

• POLYLINE —Output is a polyline feature class. Each cell is defined by four line features.
  • POLYGON —Output is a polygon feature class. Each cell is defined by one polygon feature.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

create a fishnet if you are working in vector world, then you can Finding what is inside a polygon—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop checking what you want to field you want to summarize on and what stat you want to return but for better control you can use Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  but pay attention to field mapping to ensure you get the information you need for summarizing.

Highlighted
MVP Regular Contributor

Best option if it must be a rectangular grid.  What is your opinion on using a hexagonal coverage "grid"? I like the way it smooths the distribution visually.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Do I need to convert fishnet into polygon before Spatial Join?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I guess you missed this part in the help topic

geometry_type

(Optional)

Determines if the output fishnet cells will be polyline or polygon features.

• POLYLINE —Output is a polyline feature class. Each cell is defined by four line features.
  • POLYGON —Output is a polygon feature class. Each cell is defined by one polygon feature.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You could also use Focal Statistics—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop​ on the resulting raster after interpolation. Choose an appropriate grid window (3X3, 5X5, etc.) and Statistics_Type = "MEAN"

0 Kudos