How to create a pie chart using the attribute values?

Jump to solution
04-01-2017 09:36 AM
Emre_B_Keser
New Contributor II

I would like to create a graph (pie chart) using the attribute values in only "one" field. I have a feature class of polygons which are actually housing stocks in a settlement. The attribute table has a field indicating the type of material in the construction process (wooden, concrete, stone, etc.) I need to create a pie chart which shows the proportions of those materials in percentage, but I have just hit a dead end trying to create one. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

P.S. The field is text and does not show up in the value field in create graph wizard. Are we not able to create graphs when we have text fields?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Use Frequency—Help | ArcGIS Desktop to create a new table containing unique field values (Type_of_Material) and the number of occurrences of each unique field value.

Then use the Frequency Field of the above feature class to create the graph (Pi Chart).

Think Location

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Use Frequency—Help | ArcGIS Desktop to create a new table containing unique field values (Type_of_Material) and the number of occurrences of each unique field value.

Then use the Frequency Field of the above feature class to create the graph (Pi Chart).

Think Location
Emre_B_Keser
New Contributor II

Thank you very much, that was exactly what I needed to accomplish my task.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

And although you did not specify the product you are using, here are some of the help topics for charts..

Desktop  Using pie charts—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Pro  Make a chart—Charts | ArcGIS Desktop 

and Web AppBuilder Chart widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Do you want a single pie chart for the entire area? Should the percentage be based on frequency as Jayanta Poddar  suggest or do you want to weight this by some numeric value (area, volume, etc)?

You can create a summarized table from the attribute table of the polygons and summarize the materials (use the material as Case Field). In the process you can calculate the sum of a numeric value (in case you have them) to obtain the sum of area or volume:

Summary Statistics—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Emre_B_Keser
New Contributor II

Thank you very much, I have done it the way you said.

0 Kudos
shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

Is there any way to create a pie chart like Emre asked for in ArcGIS Pro using the unique values of a string field?

0 Kudos