How to convert a DSM to DEM

10-31-2013 09:48 AM
MARIAAIVAZOGLOU
New Contributor
Hallo all,

I have a Digital Surface Model (DSM) with a cell size of 0.8x 0.8 and I want to convert it to DEM. Thus I want to get rid of elevated objects such as buildings and trees. Does anybody know if there is an available tool for this.

I will highly appreciate any advice.

Maria
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
Take a look at this forum post.

You can also try using Free Open Source S/W, Q GIS, SAGA GIS.
0 Kudos
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
have a Digital Surface Model (DSM) with a cell size of 0.8x 0.8 and I want to convert it to DEM. Thus I want to get rid of elevated objects such as buildings and trees. Does anybody know if there is an available tool for this.

Maria,

If your DSM is refereed to a dataset, which contains bare DEM with 3D object heights on it, it is challenging for ArcGIS (any GIS approaches) to practically exclude 3D objects and technically convert into 'meaningful�?? DEM, in particular, in urban areas.

However, if your DSM is referred to the data model in engineering/geomatics literature, which is constructed from 0.8-m optical data (stereo-pair imagery, or LiDAR cloud points), accurate 'bare' DEM (and/or 3D city model) can be automatically classified by advanced algorithms within remote sensing packages like Leica LPS or TerraScan, ...
0 Kudos
leostalin
New Contributor

Use SimActive DSM to DTM module..

0 Kudos