How to combine multiple shapefiles of same name into fgdb

03-06-2016 05:38 PM
TerryWatson
New Contributor II

I am trying to combine multiple shapefiles into a file geodatabase.

The shapefiles are in separate folders with same filenames and attribute fields.

I have tried combining but i get a gdb with separate filenames (ie. shape1, shape2, shape3 etc.).  Im downloading these datasets in pieces, and would like to reassemble all of them into one gdb file and layer.

Attached is a sample of what I want to combine. The folders are differnt names, but the shapefiles are all the same. I need a workflow to combine these, plus append new files as I download them.

--Terry

0 Kudos
14 Replies
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

Just making sure, all 3 of the layers are of the same geometry type? (polyline, polygon, point)?

0 Kudos
TerryWatson
New Contributor II

Yes...please try the attached files and see what you get...im having no luck here

--Terry

0 Kudos
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

How did you go about creating these shapefiles. Seems to be a problem with attribute tables. Most of them don't load attribute table data. Maybe a problem with field names.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

See the attached. This is the combined dataset for just the first shapefile, into a file gdb.

Here is the process I did and it was pretty fast

1. Open ArcMap, load the first shapefile

2. Export this shapefile to file geodatabase (you may need to create this first).

3. In ArcMap, only have the file gdb feature class in the Table of Contents, then load all of the other shapefiles of just that file (so, the first one).

4. Open edit session for the gdb feature class.

5. Select all records from the next shapefile (like from folder two) that you have in your TOC, and then go to Edit --> Copy and then Edit --> Paste and select the feature class to paste into.

6. Repeat that for the next 8 or 9 shapefiles.

This worked for the first shapefile.

But, like Benjamin said, many of these shapefiles have broken tables which would be why you are getting errors. You may need to find the source of the data and verify that they are valid shapefiles (with good tables).

0 Kudos
TerryWatson
New Contributor II

Yes, I think the broken/inconsistent tables are a problem...thanks for your help everyone...I will find a workaround to get this done

--Terry

0 Kudos