How to assign parcel addresses sequentially for Geocoding?

02-22-2016 02:32 AM
RonyMuchini
New Contributor II

Hie all

I have a few addresses for a town, the start and the end house number of every street. I also have a the sequence in which the house numbers from the beginning to the end of each@ street.

The only way I know is to type the addresses one by one in excel or the attribute table however its too laborious considering the number of stands

I'm expecting that there is a way to I can tell ArcGIS the starting point, the end point and the sequence. if so how then can I do it????????

Thanks in advance

Ronnie

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

What is it you are attempting to do?  You describe what data you have and then you launch into "The only way I know is to type the addresses"....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RonyMuchini
New Contributor II

Joe

Thanks for helping me to clarify

I want to know how I can tell ArcGIS the starting point, the end point and the sequence so that it populates the remaining addresses in between

0 Kudos
RonyMuchini
New Contributor II

typing all the addresses would be too laborious since they are too many

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

But why would you want or need to do that?  I'm purely speculating here, but it sounds like you want to create an address for every number between the low and high range you already have.  In all the geocoding I've done in the past 20 years, I can tell you that a range of numbers is just that:  a range.  It does not indicate that there is an actual address for every number between the low and high.

However, back to your original post, there are different methods to create sequential numbers of a given step value.  Here is a link for one using arcpy:  38517 - Create sequential numbers in a field using Python in the Field Calculator

That should just about do it....
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

It sounds like the objective is create addresses for parcels, given a known start and end value.  The script  Joe Borgione mentions works well - I've used it many times.

Notes on script:

• pStart is the starting value.  Put in the first address value here.
  • pInterval is the interval between values.  So if your addresses are say 10 apart, you would use 10 here.
  • If pInterval is variable for each street, you will have to either manually calculate the range or add some more coding to do the calculation.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

The Attribute Assistant add-in can help you automate that.  I guess it depends on how often you are going to be doing this and how many points (I am assuming you are creating address points.) you will be creating.  If it is a lot of points it may be worth the time to figure out how the Attribute Assistant add-in works.  I use it all the time to make data entry easier.  Once you figure it out you start seeing other ways to use it.

The Attribute Assistant comes with most of the map templates for the Local Government Information Model.  Try the Address Data Management map template.  That map is intended to be used for new development and new addresses.  The idea is you create a road centerline enter the ranges for that segment and then start creating site address points.  The add-in fills in the house number and the street name and then concatenates them into a full address field.

For your needs I think you could use the GENERATE_ID method - setting the low address in the GENERATEID table and the increment value, then in the DynamicValue table create a line for your house number field and use the GENERATE_ID for the value method.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah