How do I use ArcGIS to select data for a particular country from an African dataset and to convert it to .asc format?

Jump to solution
02-19-2015 06:49 AM
JulieMontgomery
New Contributor

How do I use ArcGIS to select data for a particular country from an African dataset and to convert it to .asc format?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Julie,

I am sure people would love to help but:

• Although you tagged this thread, the tag you are using is unique and will not aid people to find your thread (see: Tagging Content )
  • The thread is not posted in a place that is directed towards a specific audience (see: What are Places? ). In your case it could be Managing Data

May I presume that the .asc format you refer to is the ASCII Raster format? What does the African dataset look like? If this is raster data, you can use the Clip (Data Management) tool and using the country as Clipping Geometry. Next convert to ASCII format using the Raster to ASCII (Conversion) tool.

In case you have vector data, clip the vector data first, convert to raster and then convert to ASCII.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Julie,

I am sure people would love to help but:

• Although you tagged this thread, the tag you are using is unique and will not aid people to find your thread (see: Tagging Content )
  • The thread is not posted in a place that is directed towards a specific audience (see: What are Places? ). In your case it could be Managing Data

May I presume that the .asc format you refer to is the ASCII Raster format? What does the African dataset look like? If this is raster data, you can use the Clip (Data Management) tool and using the country as Clipping Geometry. Next convert to ASCII format using the Raster to ASCII (Conversion) tool.

In case you have vector data, clip the vector data first, convert to raster and then convert to ASCII.