How do I update the full extent of a Feature Class

Jump to solution
10-22-2014 09:09 AM
JenRadcliff
New Contributor III

I have recently migrated some water main data from AutoCAD into a SDE Feature Class.  Everything seems to have gone fine with that but now when I add this water main FC into ArcMap and hit the Zoom to Full Extent button, it zooms "way out".  I have checked and there aren't any outlying features that would cause this.  I have also checked in the Data Frame Properties -> Data Frame tab -> Extent used by Full Extent Command and when I set this to the water mains layer, it still zooms "way out".   FYI, my ArcMap session, has only the water mains layer in it, no other layers were added and or deleted before I added the water mains layer (in other words, it was a fresh/clean session).

I am using ArcGIS 10.2 with Enterprise SDE (on SQL Server 2012).

Does anyone know how to update this feature class so it won't zoom "way out" when I hit the Zoom to Full Extent button?

I've thought about updating the spatial index but I'm not sure if that will do the trick (I don't think it will).

Thank you for your time,

Matt S.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor

Hi Matt,

You can update the extent of your feature class by opening the properties of the feature class in ArcCatalog or the Catalog window in ArcMap and going to the 'feature extent' tab. On this tab you can see the extent of your feature class and there should be a button enabled that allows you to recalculate the extent. You will need to be connected as the owner of the data in order for this button to be enabled.

After clicking this button you should see a new extent that is based off of the extent of your data.

Russell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Couple things to check:

I assume you've correctly defined the projection or projected it?

If so, you have an errant piece of data that is misbehaving;  for example, I once was given a set of points with Lat Long data and they were all supposed to be in North America.  And most of them were, accept one where the Lat Long was incorrect and plotted in Russia....

That should just about do it....
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor

Hi Matt,

You can update the extent of your feature class by opening the properties of the feature class in ArcCatalog or the Catalog window in ArcMap and going to the 'feature extent' tab. On this tab you can see the extent of your feature class and there should be a button enabled that allows you to recalculate the extent. You will need to be connected as the owner of the data in order for this button to be enabled.

After clicking this button you should see a new extent that is based off of the extent of your data.

Russell

0 Kudos
JenRadcliff
New Contributor III

Thanks Russell and Joe for your help!

Matt

0 Kudos