How do I store data in a shapefile?

Jump to solution
04-12-2017 07:31 AM
RobWile
New Contributor II

When I digitize a polyline in arcmap 10, I would expect the data for that line to be stored in a shapefile so that I can manipulate it (turn on, turn off) from the table of contents, but that doesn't seem to  work.  Where do the digitized polylines show up in the table of contents? #digitize‌ #feature create #shape file

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobWile
New Contributor II

Thank you, the video helped.  I wasn't creating my geometry using the "construction tools" in "create features".  I was creating it using the draw tool bar across the top.  Confusing, but it seemed to make the difference.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you did create an empty shapefile, then get into edit mode and began to use the editing tools to draw the features, I hope.  If not, then this section of the help file explains how to create and edit features

RobWile
New Contributor II

Yes, that's the procedure I followed (twice, carefully), but still don't see any link between the polyline I drew and the empty shape file that I created.

After drawing the polyline in map view, the attribute table for the new shape file is empty. Shouldn't there be data for the polyline? What am I missing?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

once you save your edits and open the table all you will see is a FID, OID and Shape field with one record/row per feature and the FID will be sequentially numbered but the OID field won't and the Shape file will just say Polyline

That's about all the is to be expected

0 Kudos
RobWile
New Contributor II

Thank you, the video helped.  I wasn't creating my geometry using the "construction tools" in "create features".  I was creating it using the draw tool bar across the top.  Confusing, but it seemed to make the difference.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yup... The draw tool creates graphics on the data-frame. It doesn't create a feature or store attribute information.

Think Location
0 Kudos