How do I Make new layers on a .ige file?

07-02-2015 08:06 AM
BrianJordan1
New Contributor

I downloaded the 14 Gigabyte file on the US Cropland Data so I could do some spatial analysis regarding Corn and Soybean crops.

While I am able select different elements within the layer, I am not allowed to make a new layer of just Corn and Soybeans. Why is this shapefile acting like a static image file?

Am I missing something? Does the file need to be converted into something else?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
BrianJordan1
New Contributor

Is it possible with the tools I have at my disposal to come away from this project with a list of schools within 1000 feet of Corn and Soybean crops? If so, how?

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you have access to the Spatial Analyst Extension, the easiest method that comes to mind is this:

1.  Select just the Corn and Soybean crops in your raster by using "Extract by Attributes (Spatial Analyst)" tool

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

2.  Convert the selected Corn and Soybean raster to vector using "Raster to Polygon (Conversion)" tool:

3.  Use "Intersect (Analysis)" on the Converted Corn and Soybean vector result using your 1000 foot School buffer.  This will find the areas where both overlap.

4.  Check the attribute table of the resulting file.  The schools listed will be those that are within 1000 feet of Corn and Soybean crops.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There's probably also a straight-forward way to do this purely in raster, though I'm not coming up with it at the moment.

I bet Darren Wiens or Dan Patterson would know.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I don't know if this is more straight-forward, but it does avoid using Raster to Polygon, which can take a long time.

1.) Create a new raster of just Corn/Soybean crops using the Con tool or a Con statement in Raster Calculator like (set extent environment to match schools or crops layer, as appropriate): Con("crops"==[Soybean Value] | "crops raster"==[Corn Value], "crops")

2.) Euclidean distance on new raster to get distance from all corn/soybean pixels to all other pixels.

3.) Extract Values to Points to transfer distance value to each school point.

Of course, all of the above requires Spatial Analyst.