How can I show change in my data?

Jump to solution
11-08-2021 02:27 PM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this but not sure where else to ask.  I am working on my future land use map and I'd love to be able to quickly show where I have made changes.  Is there a way to symbolize features that have changed differently?  I have editor tracking enabled but as I've noticed before there is no way to symbolize features by date in ArcGIS Pro.  For now I've been simply adding notes to each feature that I change in a new NOTES field and can select by edited date at the end of the project and do it that way but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm open to any ideas.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I would only need those after a certain date. As long as they satisfy that, then they should be symbolized.  So, after reading through some of the ideas on the StackExchange thread I came up with a definition query.  What's nice about that is I can either turn the query on or off as needed or can even simply have it as a separate layer just depending on how I need to display it.  Thanks to all for helping me think this through.  Symbolizing by date is still one of a my biggest wants from Esri and they don't seem to be moving anywhere with it.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

labels? You can add a new field to your table and convert/represent dates as text would be a simple solution

... sort of retired...
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

See if this post to Stack Exchange helps you out; it suggests adding a new fields that would be an epoch representations (number value) of your date modified.  You might be able to write an attribute rule that would update that new field when a feature is modified.

You can also check the Arcade help pages on date epoch here.  

That should just about do it....
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@JoeBorgione .... link?

... sort of retired...
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Good catch @DanPatterson .  Fixed...

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I would only need those after a certain date. As long as they satisfy that, then they should be symbolized.  So, after reading through some of the ideas on the StackExchange thread I came up with a definition query.  What's nice about that is I can either turn the query on or off as needed or can even simply have it as a separate layer just depending on how I need to display it.  Thanks to all for helping me think this through.  Symbolizing by date is still one of a my biggest wants from Esri and they don't seem to be moving anywhere with it.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Glad you were able to create a solution for yourself; definition queries IMHO are an often overlooked feature that really adds functionality. Adding the same data several times and having a different queries assigned is a great way to go.