How can I get test environment for ArcSDE

Jump to solution
04-27-2015 06:52 PM
Maw_MawOo
New Contributor

Hi All,

I've got ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced (Single use) for testing purpose. Is that license entitled to use ArcSDE for testing GeoDatabase in SQL express environment. If so any procedures can I get about how to get ArcSDE and how to configure it in SQL environment.

If it is not available in  ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced (Single use) license, whether can I get the license for testing purpose.

Thanks in advance.

Maw Maw

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

ArcSDE hasn't been a product for quite a while now. 

Standard and advanced ArcGIS for Desktop clients can only create an enterprise geodatabase with an enterprise ArcGIS Server license.  Workgroup geodatabases (10 r/w users) can be created in an Express database with a workgroup ArcGIS Server license.  Standard and Advanced Desktop seats can create a Desktop geodatabases (1 r/w user, 3 total users). You can read more about the different types of geodatabases here and here.

Evaluation licenses of Esri software are obtained by contacting your local Esri representative (GeoNet is a communication platform between users, not a channel for licensing issues).

- V

View solution in original post

5 Replies
VinceAngelo

ArcSDE hasn't been a product for quite a while now. 

Standard and advanced ArcGIS for Desktop clients can only create an enterprise geodatabase with an enterprise ArcGIS Server license.  Workgroup geodatabases (10 r/w users) can be created in an Express database with a workgroup ArcGIS Server license.  Standard and Advanced Desktop seats can create a Desktop geodatabases (1 r/w user, 3 total users). You can read more about the different types of geodatabases here and here.

Evaluation licenses of Esri software are obtained by contacting your local Esri representative (GeoNet is a communication platform between users, not a channel for licensing issues).

- V

Maw_MawOo
New Contributor

Hi Vince,

Thanks for the information and links provided.

I've downloaded Database_Server_Desktop_103_143531 from customer care potal and installed it without careteing the SQLEXPRESS (as SQLPEXPRESS had been created a few weeks back).

Just follow the steps provided by mboeringa2010​ on 02-Nov-2013 13:28 to configure the geodatabase environment on SQLEXPRESS. Try creating test Geodatabase in ArcCatalog and it seems okay.

Thanks again.

Regards

Maw Maw

0 Kudos
JoshuaSonntag1
New Contributor

Vince,

May I ask you what you mean that ArcSDE has not been a product for quite a while? Is it non-existent anymore? Was it succeeded by another program? If so, what was the cause of it going obsolete?

I may not even be asking the appropriate questions, but if you could elaborate on that, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Josh

VinceAngelo

The technology still exists, but it's now just a part of the software framework, not a product (something that can be licensed).  ArcSDE is used to implement enterprise geodatabases, but it's not the only component. ArcSDE is not "obsolete", but the API and application server were deprecated at 10.2, and are unsupported at 10.3.  A GIS StackExchange answer discusses the evolution in more detail.

- V

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Keeping in mind everything Vince mentioned, and that you need to talk to your local distributor, the Esri-Developer-Network (EDN) annual license is a way to test the platform with ArcGIS Server (and SDE). 

Esri Developer Network (EDN)