Hold on Date and User when Editing

01-03-2011 06:48 PM
JoseSousa
Esri Contributor
Dear Esri Geodatabase Team,

Is it possible when editing a feature, without programming, to hold on the user and date it happened? I don't want to consider Archiving. The user can be the domain user.

If there isn't a direct way using ArcGIS Desktop of doing this, what does Esri recommends me to do in order to have this information associated with each feature?

Cheers,
José
0 Kudos
7 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
There are a few customizations available to do this on the ArcScripts site; one of them is this script:
http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=15694

We are planning on adding the ability to track the last editor user and date along with creation editor and date at 10.1.
0 Kudos
JoseSousa
Esri Contributor
Hi Craig,

Thanks a lot for your reply. This can be used as workaround while the 10.1 version isn't available. This is not a definitive solution since each user has the hability to deactivate the extension ... which makes me lose control of who is editing and when.

Do you have idea when is planned to be released the 10.1 version?

Cheers,
José
0 Kudos
StevenHaslemore
Occasional Contributor
Hi Jose,

Did you have success with this on ArcGIS 10?
If so did you need to recompile it or did the standard install files work?

Cheers,
Steven
0 Kudos
JoseSousa
Esri Contributor
Dear Steven,

I haven't tried the tool but it is very possible that the tool needs to be recompiled again to be compatible with the version 10.

It is important that the ability to track the user name and date be defined at the geodatabase level to avoid users from deactivating the functionality. I am waiting for version 10.1.

José Sousa
0 Kudos
StevenHaslemore
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Jose,

Have tried recompiling, it now appears to install but does not function.

Anyone had success with this?

Cheers,
Steven
0 Kudos
StevenHaslemore
Occasional Contributor
Hi everyone,

John the author of the ArcScripts app linked above has pointed me to the version 10 variant.

http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/arcobjects-net-api/details?entryID=3CAECB94-1422-2418-7F19-...

Works just as before.

Cheers,
Steven
0 Kudos
EstherJensen
New Contributor III

this link does not work, do you have an update?

0 Kudos