Historical Basemaps?

05-03-2013 11:27 AM
JeffSolecki
New Contributor
I was wondering if you guys can Please Help me out here. I use ArcGIS for work and mapping Oil field leases and boundary lines. I am looking to add new basemaps to the ArcGIS desktop that shows old satellite imagery over the past several decades and also some topographic data. I believe there is a USA Topographic map available for the online ArcGIS but how can I add this to the desktop program? Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
If you want to use ArcGIS Online basemaps in ArcGIS Desktop, click the down arrow next to the add data button and select Add Data from ArcGIS Online.  You can search for historical maps there.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
You might try searching the USGS or various agencies that might  have historic data.  Where are you located?

I know my state has a WMS server that has options to show our air photography back to 1991 all in one easy to use server.

They just added LIDAR recently.  Well actually is a jpeg of the actual lidar data

I was wondering if you guys can Please Help me out here. I use ArcGIS for work and mapping Oil field leases and boundary lines. I am looking to add new basemaps to the ArcGIS desktop that shows old satellite imagery over the past several decades and also some topographic data. I believe there is a USA Topographic map available for the online ArcGIS but how can I add this to the desktop program? Thanks
0 Kudos
JeffSolecki
New Contributor
Thank you for all the suggestions guys. I'm Located in Luling, TX.   It's more of a rural area so I know there may not be as many data points to work with but all the help is appreciated. I'm just curious, how often is satellite photography taken? I found google earth has them skipping every few years then 2 in one year as far back as 2011, 2006,2005,2002 then 1995, does that sound right?
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Air photography is somewhat expensive to acquire and many locations will not do it every year.    I know the air photos for my house on BING are at least 4 or 5 years old because my house is the old color.

Sometimes larger metro areas will have air photos updated more often and at a higher resolution.

What you have for dates sounds correct.

Here are some WMS service I found for Texas.

http://data.crwr.utexas.edu/wms.html

http://www.texasview.org/

Thank you for all the suggestions guys. I'm Located in Luling, TX.   It's more of a rural area so I know there may not be as many data points to work with but all the help is appreciated. I'm just curious, how often is satellite photography taken? I found google earth has them skipping every few years then 2 in one year as far back as 2011, 2006,2005,2002 then 1995, does that sound right?
0 Kudos