Has anyone been able to get fragstats 4 working with ArcGIS 10.1 grids?

Jump to solution
09-19-2012 07:48 AM
SueClark
New Contributor II
I have just installed ArcGIS 10.1 on my new computer.  I have a tool that runs fragstats, but it stopped working.

I have my paths set up correctly and my license is in order according to the fragstats diagnostics.

I have verified that the problem is outside my tool.  I have tried loading ArcGrids, generated from both 10 and10.1, using the Fragstat GUI.  When I try to "Add Layer...", the GUI immediately exits.  I can load other types of layers.  I think this indicates that the problem is with the grid library file (aigridio.dll).

I have tried fragstats 4.1 and I still have the problem.

I have a basic version of 10.0 with the spatial analyst license on my laptop and fragstats 4.0 works fine.

Has anyone been able to get fragstats to work with ArcGIS 10.1?  If so, do you have any hints?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SueClark
New Contributor II
After exchanging emails with Kevin McGarigal about fragstats and ArcGIS 10.1 grids, I decided to work around the problem.  Fragstats has not been tested using ArcGIS 10.1.

Luckily fragstats 4.1 supports other raster formats.  I decided to do my grid extractions in .img format.  I do get an error message indicating that my units haven't been set and are assumed to be meters.  All of my grids use a projection with meter linear units, so all is well.

I am fixing my python script tool which was working in ArcGIS 10 (with a workaround for a 10.0 Buffer command problem...another story). I wanted minimal impact to my tool and this was my solution.

If you run into this problem, you can also convert your grids using one of the system tools, like CopyRaster, RasterToOtherFormat, or even ProjectRaster.  With fragstats 4.1, you have a few options.  If you wanted to stick with fragstats  4.0, you can also do a Raster to ASCII and strip off the header. 

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SueClark
New Contributor II
After exchanging emails with Kevin McGarigal about fragstats and ArcGIS 10.1 grids, I decided to work around the problem.  Fragstats has not been tested using ArcGIS 10.1.

Luckily fragstats 4.1 supports other raster formats.  I decided to do my grid extractions in .img format.  I do get an error message indicating that my units haven't been set and are assumed to be meters.  All of my grids use a projection with meter linear units, so all is well.

I am fixing my python script tool which was working in ArcGIS 10 (with a workaround for a 10.0 Buffer command problem...another story). I wanted minimal impact to my tool and this was my solution.

If you run into this problem, you can also convert your grids using one of the system tools, like CopyRaster, RasterToOtherFormat, or even ProjectRaster.  With fragstats 4.1, you have a few options.  If you wanted to stick with fragstats  4.0, you can also do a Raster to ASCII and strip off the header. 

Good Luck!
0 Kudos
MatthewWestbrook
New Contributor
I've recently needed to use FRAGSTATS with ArcGIS 10.1.  I found this thread and thought I'd post my solution (even though the original post is from July 2012).

Patch Analyst 5 (download available here: http://www.cnfer.on.ca/SEP/patchanalyst/) was developed by the Centre for Norther Forest Ecosystem Research (http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/CNFER/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_164505.html).  Their add-in works with ArcGIS 10.1 and uses FRAGSTATS' analysis of rasters for landscape patch characteristics.  It worked great for me.  The only change I needed to make involved resampling my grids to be coarser (1.15x1.15 --- 0.8 x 0.8 was too high of a resolution for the program).

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
AnaBarbosa
New Contributor
Hi all,

Two questions:
- I've the same problem. I'm using 10.1 + fragstats 4.2. I am not able to select the Grid. 
In addition, when i try to convert into .img and tif and got the following error: "Error: No level selected for the analysis, please select at least one level." Does anybody know how to solve this issue?
- The size of the grid? what is the maximum? I did some tests but  would be nice to have your opinion.

Thanks a lot!

Ana
0 Kudos
SisiZHANG
New Contributor
Hi all,

Two questions:
- I've the same problem. I'm using 10.1 + fragstats 4.2. I am not able to select the Grid. 
In addition, when i try to convert into .img and tif and got the following error: "Error: No level selected for the analysis, please select at least one level." Does anybody know how to solve this issue?
- The size of the grid? what is the maximum? I did some tests but  would be nice to have your opinion.

Thanks a lot!

Ana

Hi Ana,

I had the same problem just as yours, however I solved them. Beside the "input layers" tag there is "analysis parameters" tag, activated it then you will see a bunch of setting, within the second frame named "sampling strategy" there are four check box represented different landscape metrics level, just check what you need and then fragstats will run smoothly.

Hope this is helpful.

Sisi
0 Kudos
KseniaZ
New Contributor

Hello! Thank you very much! I have another question: is it possible to use ArcgisPro raster files in Fragstat, what input data type to use if I have a complex landscape with different patches (different types of vegetation). Thank you!

0 Kudos