GPS

09-28-2015 01:19 PM
KarenCedeno-Perdue
New Contributor

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone out there using ArcPad and GPS technology has had any good/consistent experiences with GPS sub-foot technology.  We have had 2 different GPS units, and neither has given us the usefulness promised.  Our first, Trimble GeoXT, with sub-foot was purchased in 2007 through ESRI and there was always a problem with the software, firmware, etc. until the unit would no longer power at all.  Our Trimble retailer would not work with us when we purchased the second unit  (because the first unit went through ESRI and not a Trimble Retailer).  The second unit is an Ashtech Mobilemapper 100 purchased in 2012 with an RTK solution which was giving us the sub-foot we needed.  Now I can get a GNSS solution and see satellites, but ArcPad can't connect to get a satellite fix.  I've triple checked all of the settings. The Ashtech retailer and Ashtech have dissappeared from existence.  The financial outlay we've made with the results we've had just does not warrant repeat mistake or GIS time if the technology has not worked for others..  We're a water utility with under 25,000 services so this is a very big deal that promised technology does not work.  I was hired to start the GIS here 9 years ago, and for the exception of GPS, our GIS program is very successful and we are happy with it.

Honestly.. this reminds me of the GIS dark ages and Intergraph.  So I am really hoping someone has some good/consistent experiences with GPS sub-foot accuracy that they can share with me.  I was really counting on Sub-foot GPS in our overall GIS plan.

Thanks,

Karen Cedeno-Perdue

Council Bluffs Water Works

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrettBlack
Occasional Contributor

Ashtech was bought by Trimble several years ago and is now under the Spectra Precision brand. Here is a link to their support page: Support - Spectra Precision

If the MM100 unit is connected to the RTN and receiving RTK corrections and NMEA output (COM 2, baud rate of at least 38400) is set up correctly ArcPad should be receiving the data if your COM port and baud rate in ArcPad's GPS preferences are correctly set.

If the equipment hasn't been used for some time it may be best to do a GPS reset.

GNSS is certainly capable of sub-foot to 1cm accuracy when correctly configured and used appropriately.

0 Kudos
KarenCedeno-Perdue
New Contributor

The NMEA output was set - but on the details page the top four boxes have to be checked for ArcPad to get the satellites from GNSS toolbox.  They weren't checked. 

I need to upgrade the firmware, GNSS, and ArcPad and I'm searching for files and instructions to do that.  I'm needing some updated projection files for the RTK IDOT network I go through that should come in the updates.  If you or anyone knows where to find that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many authorized retailers disappeared for Ashtech after the Trimble buy-out.  I know I found out long after the fact.

0 Kudos
BrettBlack
Occasional Contributor

You can download Ashtech related firmware, etc. here: Ashtech Latest Firmware/Software

ArcPad can be upgraded through Esri. To go to the latest version I believe you have to have maintenance on the product. Here is a link to the latest ArcPad build: ArcPad | Try it Free - Download ArcPad Evaluation Software . Once you have it installed you can license the evaluation version with your updated registration code.

0 Kudos
DavidDamian1
New Contributor

Karen,

I am using a Trimble GeoXH 6000, ArcPAD 10.0.  In the field, I connect to the Florida Permanent Reference Network (FPRN) for real-time corrections, using a MiFi (T-Mobile is my carrier down here...Ft. Lauderdale).  Are you able to get wireless service in your areas of data collection?  If you have a reference network, this is a pretty good option.

0 Kudos
KarenCedeno-Perdue
New Contributor

We have a Real Time Network in Iowa through IDOT.  Unfortunately, they use a 2011 version of NAD 83 which is different from the projection we use daily.  I have a model that transforms the projection back and forth.  ArcPad 10 does not have the 2011 instance of NAD 83 and I am hoping that ArcPad 10.2.1 does.

0 Kudos