Google Earth KML File to ArcMap

11-22-2019 12:29 PM
EphraimBryski
New Contributor

I'm attempting to use data from a project created on Google Earth (Version 9.3.97.5) in ArcMap 10.7.1. I created a project on Google Earth, added place marks and shapes, and exported it as a KML file. I then used the KML to Layer tool on ArcMap to load it on to ArcMap. However, when I do this, I get the error "000401: No features were found for processing." This happens whether or not I check the "Include Ground Overlay" option. This does not happen if I load a KML file created using Google Maps. I attached the KML file in this thread. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KierstenHudson
New Contributor II

Hey Ephraim Bryski‌! 

I downloaded your KML and when I imported it into my ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2 Project, I see the same error. I think it's worth checking out what the error documentation says - 000401: No features were found for processing.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

If those suggestions don't help, you very well may be hitting a defect that we have logged here 

BUG-000108043 - The KML To Layer tool returns the following error, "Error 000401: No features were found for processing" when using a KML file that is not in a standard format.

I'd suggest reaching out to us here in Technical Support to get a case logged. Then we can verify if you are hitting the above, and attach you to the defect. The current workaround is to verify that the KML file displays correctly in Google Earth (as you already have). If so, export the KML content again from Google Earth by saving it as a new .kml or .kmz file and retry the process in ArcMap/Pro.

Hope this helps! 

Kiersten