Gis Tutorial 1 Assignment 5-1

10-19-2021 02:31 PM
GavenMejia
New Contributor

My GIS 211 class is working on assignment 5-1. We are getting pretty far along, but we all run into a roadblock when trying to join the attribute tables together. The system will say that the attribute tables have joined, but when you add new field and use the field calculator to add data, the new field will continue to show up as null. Does anyone know to get past this issue?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this question @GavenMejia . Can you let us know whether you're taking an online Esri Training class, MOOC or a Learn GIS lesson and we can share your question with the right place in the Community to get help.

0 Kudos
GavenMejia
New Contributor

Im taking it at Arizona State University

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, so it sounds like this a course from ASU but you're using Esri software to complete the work. Can you share what Esri Product or tool you are using in this tutorial e.g. ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
GeraldBartz
New Contributor III
I am an editor for several tutorial books.
What book are you using?

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@GavenMejia 

When you add the new field, is it the same type and precision as the data you are trying to calculate into it?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

You can't edit or modify the second side (joined table) fields. If you added a new field, it is probably now in the first table. Make sure you are using the correct field as there are often many duplicate names in a join. Try exporting the join to a new table before adding the new field if you get really stuck.

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@GavenMejia 

I agree with @DanaNolan  Export your join and then add the field (same type and precision as the field you are using to calculate the value) and then do the calculation.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos