Select to view content in your preferred language

Getting Median value in raster set...

Jump to solution
11-26-2012 08:44 AM
AndrewLarson
New Contributor
Hey all-

I am looking to get slope statistics for a number of watersheds i am studying. Currently, i have masked a DEM raster set regarding slope degrees to my various watershed feature datasets. When i look at the 'properties' or my masked layers, it has the slope statistics of min, max, mean and std...but no median! i looked into the zonal statistics tool to help me find the median but when i plugged these masked raster sets into the tool, the option to find the median completely disappears....is there any way in which i can get the median slope for these raster sets?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Greetings,

Slope is calculated as a floating point value.  Per the help for the Zonal tools:

"When the Value input is integer, all of the statistics (Area, Min, Max, Range, Mean, STD, Sum, Variety, Majority, Minority, and Median) are available to be calculated. If the Value input is floating point, the Majority, Minority, Median, and Variety statistics will not be calculated."

You can run the Int tool to truncate the values to be integer, then calculate Median.

Best,
Eric

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Greetings,

Slope is calculated as a floating point value.  Per the help for the Zonal tools:

"When the Value input is integer, all of the statistics (Area, Min, Max, Range, Mean, STD, Sum, Variety, Majority, Minority, and Median) are available to be calculated. If the Value input is floating point, the Majority, Minority, Median, and Variety statistics will not be calculated."

You can run the Int tool to truncate the values to be integer, then calculate Median.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
AndrewLarson
New Contributor
Eric-

thanks for the reply! i definitely understand the solution but have a question from your response....

i need to multiply the slope values in the raster dataset by 10 before i use the Int tool...how is that done in arcgis 10?

thanks!

Andrew
0 Kudos
AndrewLarson
New Contributor
wait i think i found it...is it via the raster calculator tool? then i get new raster set, then i can apply the Int tool to the newest set?...think that makes sense?\
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
You're on the right track there.  Also, you could just run the Times tool.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos