GeoTIFF, NoData help

05-21-2014 07:40 PM
JoeMills
New Contributor
Hi, I have a publicly available LiDAR data set for my study area that is full of NoData cells. It is a GeoTIFF. Is there any simple way to generalise a value for the NoData cells from surrounding cell values? I'm having a lot of trouble with this. Cheers in advance
0 Kudos
4 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
JoeMills
New Contributor
Have you tried the resample datamanagement tool?

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00170000009t000000

Just gave it a go, no luck. It successfully resamples the cells with values but consistently ignores the NoData cells
0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor
I had never tried it for that purpose, but I was hoping.

If you have a spatial analyst extension, perhaps do a raster to point conversion, then interpolate the points using a method that would keep the values from the known points such as spline and select the same cell size as the initial raster?

I'm open to other input if anyone has any.
0 Kudos
AlfredWagtendonk
New Contributor II

This is a recurring question for which I give you my recurring answer:

I had a similar problem and first tried to convert my data as well. But, than noticed my Geotiff had a compression applied ('PACKBITS'). After exporting my dataset (right click layer =>Export Data) to an uncompressed Tiff (Compression type: NONE), the problem was solved: NoData cells behave again like expected and you can carry out again common NoData operations. So have a look at your layer properties to see if your Tiff has been compressed as well and if so uncompress it.

Good luck and best wishes,

Alfred Wagtendonk

0 Kudos