geosoft grids not loading

05-13-2018 02:52 AM
MarkBear
New Contributor II

Hi … 

I am having difficulty in viewing geosoft grid file in ArcMap 10.4.1.

I have downloaded and installed the geosoft extension (plug in for ArcGIS) and have checked in Customise>ArcMap Options …>Raster>Raster Dataset>File Formats and it is showing Geosoft grid and the extension label as being present and ticked.

However when I try and load a grid file I get a pop up window "Raster data Objects Error" - "Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer" on clicking OK get another message "Warning" "A selected Item could not be added to the map".

Have tried saving the grid file as a new file … still the same problem. 

Running Win10 Pro 64bit.

Cheers

MD

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Since it might be a geosoft issue, try saving to a native arcmap/Pro format that is well supported, such as *.tif

MarkBear
New Contributor II

Hi Dan

Thanks for the feed back.

I am currently following up with Geosoft … so will let you know what happens.

This was all working on my old computer but there seems to be some issue now.

I can go the route of *.tif but it is rather annoying as I also use geosoft and now one has to save a grid file and a tif … but it is a work around!

Once again thanks for the feed back

Regards

MD

0 Kudos
MarkBear
New Contributor II

Hi Dan

Following on from your post I have been in contact with Geosoft and I believe the problem has been solved.

It may seem silly but the programme was not loaded. Essentially it seems despite down loading from the link from the Geosoft web site for "Plug in For Arc GIS" it did not automatically load it from the "Geosoft Desktop Application". Further more I found that I had two different versions of "Geosoft Desktop Application" loaded. So the solution is as follows:

1. Close all Geosoft and ArcGIS programs.

2. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.

3. From the list of programs right-click on Geosoft Desktop Applications and select Change (Note if at this point to have two "Geosoft desktop Applications" loaded right click and uninstall the older) then right click on the new and follow the instructions below.

This will open up a Geosoft wizard

4. Select Add of Remove Applications.

5. You should already have Target 9.3.3 and Oasis Montaj Viewer 9.3.3 selected.

Can you confirm if the Plug-in for ArcGIS 9.3.3 is also selected. If not, then you just need to it and then click Add or Remove.

This will now install the programme.

Simple but probably not intuitive.

Once again thanks for you assistance.

Cheers

Mark

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Follow your raster path, and change any funny characters or the names that started with numbers.

0 Kudos
MarkBear
New Contributor II

Hi Abdulla

Many thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

I have followed the path and there does not seem to be anything out of the ordinary and I also have tried other grid files (different path). I attach a file in case you wish to try and load it.

Once again thanks for the feed back - I have also contacted Geosoft for their feed back.

Cheers

MD

0 Kudos
MarkBear
New Contributor II

Hi Abdullah

Following on from your post I have been in contact with Geosoft and I believe the problem has been solved.

It may seem silly but the programme was not loaded. Essentially it seems despite down loading from the link from the Geosoft web site for "Plug in For Arc GIS" it did not automatically load it from the "Geosoft Desktop Application". Further more I found that I had two different versions of "Geosoft Desktop Application" loaded. So the solution is as follows:

1. Close all Geosoft and ArcGIS programs.

2. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.

3. From the list of programs right-click on Geosoft Desktop Applications and select Change (Note if at this point to have two "Geosoft desktop Applications" loaded right click and uninstall the older) then right click on the new and follow the instructions below.

This will open up a Geosoft wizard

4. Select Add of Remove Applications.

5. You should already have Target 9.3.3 and Oasis Montaj Viewer 9.3.3 selected.

Can you confirm if the Plug-in for ArcGIS 9.3.3 is also selected. If not, then you just need to it and then click Add or Remove.

This will now install the programme.

Simple but probably not intuitive.

Once again thanks for you assistance.

Cheers

Mark

DanielleGiovenazzo
New Contributor

Hi,, have upgraded both my oasis Montaj and ArcGIS to version 10.8.   The plug in from geosoft no longer works and any rasters that I generate from Geosoft are no longer recognized by ArcGis 10.8 (missing spatial references.)

I never had this problem with the previous version on ArcGIS. Is there a solution to this?  

0 Kudos
MetralAlexis
Occasional Contributor

Hi there, I'va the same issue. I just installed ArcGIS 10.8 and the last version of Target on my new computer and ArcGIS returns the "Raster data Objects Error - Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer"  error when adding a grd file.

0 Kudos