Georeferencing Problem - Image disappears when using Update Georeferencing

32347
41
02-19-2014 09:32 AM
JasonLamberts
New Contributor II
I am having problems with Georeferencing raster images. I have been using the georeferencing toolbar since version 8 and have had no issues. I recently installed a trial of 10.2 and am now having problems. My data frame is set to UTM Zone 12 Nad 83 and I have Twp\Rge layers to reference the image to. I am attempting to georeference a landowner map so I zoom roughly to the county boundary, fit to page and zoom to one corner. I add control points on 4 corners, the auto-adjust option is turned on so it automatically references to the correct location. After 4 points the RMS is low and the image appears in the correct location. When I hit the update georeferencing button the image disappears and shifts to a seemingly random location. I have tried multiple images and have the same problem each time. I tried using the Rectify option instead of the Update Georeferencing and it works fine. Same control points and same process and the Rectify works but the Update Georeferencing fails. I don't like the Rectify option because in typical ArcMap fashion it resamples the image and the resultant image is of lower resolution than the original.

help please
41 Replies
AlexanderShubra
New Contributor II
I have had this happen before to me.  There is another control point there and it was saved before.
If you go to where the file is located in windows explorer and delete all the files expect for the image file then georeference it again it should work out.
JasonLamberts
New Contributor II
Hi ashubra,

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with this process and have tried it a number of times. I have tried this on numerous raster images that have never had any georeferencing done to them so they are simply raw tif images. I run through the same process and the result of using the Update Georeferencing button is the same every time.
0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Frequent Contributor
I have 10.2 and recently used the GeoRef toolbar. No issues from me. Been using it for years and it is one of the most together tools in the toolbox.
Have to you tried it with other image format types, jpg perhaps or stuff in a fgdb?
I usually turn off the Auto Adjust option until I have put in my GCP's. I don't like it when the image jumps around while I'm busy.
Then open up the link table then click on auto adjust.
But is sounds like you know all that anyway.
Is there perhaps some issue with file permissions on the tiffs, that it can update some part but not another so the georeffing is getting all confussed.
Not much help, I know.
Good luck,
Neil
0 Kudos
JasonLamberts
New Contributor II
Heya,

Thanks for the input. Not a bad idea but that's not the problem. Using the update georeferencing doesn't change the Tif in any way, all of the georeferencing info comes from the 3 new files it creates. I sent a file I had issues with to a friend and he successfully used the update georeferencing option. He sent me the 3 new files it created and the image came in properly on my computer. The issue must be a setting on my computer or within ArcMap. I have poked around the overall Raster import settings, data frame coordinate system and transformations, and a few others and can't seem to fix the problem.

Jason
0 Kudos
JasonLamberts
New Contributor II
It just occurred to me to check the files my friend created vs mine. There is an obvious difference in the XML files. The one I created is mostly blank w no coordinate system info while my friends version contains a lareg amount of info about position and coordinate system. The georeferencing toolbar isn't assigning the coordinate system info from the data frame settings for some reason. I have attached both versions of the XML.

Thanks
0 Kudos
JasonLamberts
New Contributor II
Attachments. Wouldn't upload XML's so I had to change to TXT. Data still there just not formatted properly.
0 Kudos
RobC
by
New Contributor
Have you had any luck resolving this issue? I'm running Arc10.1 SP1 and am having the exact same problem... As soon as I hit Update Georeferencing the .tif jumps back to the original location where it initially loads before any edits are made.
0 Kudos
JasonLamberts
New Contributor II
Hey Rob,

In a roundabout way yes I resolved the issue. I had made some changes to some of the raster settings within ArcMap that was likely causing the issue. I was testing changes to some of the default settings Customize > ArcMap Options > Raster. I had to do a system restore to a date just before I made these customizations and everything started working. Everything worked fine once all raster settings were reverted back to their defaults.
0 Kudos
BrandtMeyer
New Contributor

To anyone else who is having this issue...

I had the same problem in Arc 10.2- I would click "Update Georeferencing", the software would "think" for a few seconds, act as if it completed the task, but then the raster would reload to it's original position (in my case at 0,0). There was no obvious update to the raster file, and all of the linked points in the georeferencing window would disappear, as if they had been applied and then cleared.

The specific setting that I changed to correct this was

Customize > ArcMap Options > Raster > Raster Dataset >

and Un-check "Use world file to define the coordinates of the raster"

As far as I can tell, that setting being checked prevented any georeferencing information being written to the file at all, i.e. not to a world file, the aux file, or the tiff itself.

I suspect that this is not the intended behavior, and is a hassle for me, since most of our company imagery uses world files for georeferencing.

Hope this helps someone down the road.