Georeferenced Tiffs displaying in the wrong location & scale when updating ArcGIS 10

09-28-2012 09:11 AM
ChrisTownley
New Contributor
Hello All,

I'm working on a project which involves georeferencing a large number of .tiff files to digitize data from them. All the tiffs which have already be georeferenced where done with ArcMap 10.0 without any service packs installed. In an effort to solve an issue with the pixels inverting and a certain zoom level, I've been experimenting with upgrading service packs. Each service pack I install causes some, but not all, of the previously georeferenced tiff files to display at a significantly smaller size, and in the incorrect location. The location change may just be do the the scaling problem though, since it is still near the correct location, I'm not positive though. Also, when I open the same map document on the other computer in the office running ArcMap 10.0 without any service packs, the tiffs are located where they should be and the proper size. I'm currently running ArcMap 10.0 with Service Pack 5 installed, and I've also installed the Raster Format Patch, neither of which have helped. I've done a few searches, and have not been able to find any solutions for this issue. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
1 Reply
CarrieDavis
Occasional Contributor
Hi Chris,

It sounds like something is going on with how ArcGIS is reading the extent information or how this information is defined in these Tiffs.  Is there an associated world file with these tiffs (.tfw)?   To read the extent information for an associated world file you would need to have the Arcmap option checked on under the raster tab in ArcMap.  If there is not a .tfw file, then the extent is stored in the header file of the tiff and you can see its values listed under the source tab.  The extent can be stored in both and this may cause issues. 

I would first look to see if you have any discrepancies with how the extent information is defined and make sure the rasters have associated spatial references that are correct.  You can read the .tfw extent information directly in notepad.

World file reference information: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//009t00000028000000

If you are not able to find any solutions on this and/or believe this is an equivalency issue then please call Esri Support at (888) 377-4575 for assistance.

Best wishes,

Carrie
0 Kudos