Geometric Network connectivity table location in SDE

08-22-2017 12:35 AM
JesseReilly1
New Contributor II

I need to export connectivity information from a geometric network.

This ancient documentation describes a "connectivity table" which lists the adjacent junctions and edges for each feature participating in the network:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=What%20is%20a%20geometric%20network%3F 

Where are these tables stored in SQL server? I've looked through the "Geometric networks in a geodatabase in SQL Server" page but can't find any info:

Geometric networks in a geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The same link that you mentioned, shows the below:

• N_<ID>_E<#>—Describes network edge weights; # = 2, 3, 4, or 5
  • N_<ID>_EDESC—Describes the edges in a network
  • N_<ID>_ESTATUS—Describes the status of each edge including its deleted and disabled states
  • N_<ID>_ETOPO—Describes the network edge topology or connectivity
  • N_<ID>_FLODIR—Describes the network flow direction
  • N_<ID>_J<#>—Describes network junction weights; # = 0 or 1
  • N_<ID>_JDESC—Describes the network junctions
  • N_<ID>_JSTATUS—Describes the status of each network junction including its deleted and disabled states
  • N_<ID>_JTOPO—Describes the connectivity of junction elements with edge elements
  • N_<ID>_JTOPO2—Describes the connectivity of junction elements with edge elements when there are multiple edges connected to a single junction
  • N_<ID>_T<#>*—Describes the weight values of each turn element
  • N_<ID>_TDEFN*—Defines each turn element by listing the edges and junctions that make up the turn
  • N_<ID>_TDEFN2*—Overflow table for the turn element definition; for example, if multiple edges make up a turn
  • N_<ID>_TDESC*—Describes the turns in a network
  • N_<ID>_TSTATUS*—Describes the status of each network turn, including its deleted and disabled states

Is this what you are looking for?

0 Kudos
JesseReilly1
New Contributor II

Hi asrujit_pb‌,

As far as I can tell (judging by the number of records), these tables only story the connectivity rules, rather than the actual connectivity.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Essential geometric networks vocabulary—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

This is the 10.5 link, which mentions that same details as the old one you had found along with the same diagram. However, I feel that the "Connectivity table" in the diagram doesn't really exist as such and is just provided for representation purpose.

The logical network

When a geometric network is created, the geodatabase also creates a corresponding logical network, which is used to represent and model connectivity relationships between features. The logical network is the connectivity graph used for tracing and flow operations. All connectivity between edges and junctions is maintained in the logical network.

The logical network is managed as a collection of tables that are created and maintained by the geodatabase. These tables record how the features involved in a geometric network are connected to one another. The logical network allows the geometric network to quickly discover and model the connectivity relationships between connected edges and junctions in a geometric network during editing and analysis. This allows fast network tracing and facilitates the generation of on-the-fly connectivity while editing.

.** This is just my understanding from reading the docs and I may be wrong.

0 Kudos
JesseReilly1
New Contributor II

I would be surprised if these tables didn't exist in some form - otherwise, every time a user ran a trace operation, ArcMap would have to query the data spatially to find adjacent junctions and edges.