Geologic Cross Sections

02-01-2011 10:33 AM
AndrewAslesen
New Contributor II
Is anyone making geologic cross sections in ArcEditor 10? 

I am looking to make simple geologic cross sections and am looking for suggestions. I have been primarily trying to figure out Jennifer Carrell's Xacto Xsection geoprocessing model, with little luck.

The model is found here: http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geoprocessing/details?entryID=C83CC388-1422-2418-7F10-B4D3D...

Any advice would be helpful, Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
FrogtechGeoscience
New Contributor II
Hi,
We're working on a cross section tool called Section Sketch that is really geared towards making it very quick to visualise both raster and vector datasets in cross section view. Part of that has been to scale back, and then rethink, the way downhole information is handled. At the moment wells and other vector data is displayed as points but we're looking at how we build from there without sacrificing simplicity.

We're currently in free beta if you're interested.  More information and a video demo is available here http://www.frogtechspatial.com/section-sketch-overview/
0 Kudos
andipaladan
New Contributor
relating to the subject by the TS  i was wandering if the software that was mention could build 2D cross section by using only surface geological data (strike dip, lithological data, and contour data (topographic map data) obtain from surface geological mapping without any core data/borehole data and geophysical data?

if it is possible how do you do it?
using what program/extentions and step by step to do it?

any answer or link provided is much appreciated...

cheers....  🙂
0 Kudos
DeaSutton
New Contributor
Andrew,

I'm working with the Xacto tool now.  It seems to be working well, except that sometimes it misses attributing the profile with the correct geologic information, though this is a fairly easy manual fix.  I've noticed that it fails if there are any vertices in your cross-section line (i.e. a long section through a non-linear range front).  I'd be happy to share my experience using it, if you've got any specific questions.

Cheers,
Sara

Sara,

How do you get the xacto tool to work? I bring up the tutorial map & the tool just shows "missing".  I would love to get this worked out because I'd like to use it for my class project. I've emailed the author but it's been several days and no response. Any help would be appreciate.

Dea
0 Kudos
JennyAxelrod1
New Contributor II
I am trying to use the xacto script and so far have gotten it to work creating the 2d cross section. But when I do the frmConvert3d, it fails partway thru. It creates shapefiles, tables and such but they all are empty. The first error comes in at this line

"frmConvert3D(Code)
xVal = pRow.value(Xindex)"

and I can't get past it.

I am running ArcGIS 10.1

Any help from anyone would be appreciated. I am desperate!

Thanks
0 Kudos
KeaganAllan
New Contributor III
I am trying to use the xacto script and so far have gotten it to work creating the 2d cross section. But when I do the frmConvert3d, it fails partway thru. It creates shapefiles, tables and such but they all are empty. The first error comes in at this line

"frmConvert3D(Code)
xVal = pRow.value(Xindex)"

and I can't get past it.

I am running ArcGIS 10.1

Any help from anyone would be appreciated. I am desperate!

Thanks

Hi Jenny,

I know this post is a little old, but you said that you are running 10.1 and have been able to get the cross-section tool working.
Did you edit the code in any way?
I can run the tutorial data, however when trying to get my own data to run I get an error during the last export process.

Have you had issues in this regard?

Many thanks,

K
0 Kudos
BishnuKhatri
New Contributor

please provide me download link of sketch tool

0 Kudos
PhilHenley
New Contributor

Hi Bishnu, you can download a free 30 day trial here Section Sketch — Frogtech Geoscience  

0 Kudos