geographic data in oracle

Jump to solution
02-13-2015 09:48 AM
Arturo_FranciscoAcosta_Bazán
Occasional Contributor

if I have geographic information in oracle (oracle spatial), Do you can access it and view / write  it in ArcMap (I don´t have a GDB ,because not AGServer, only Desktop and DBMS Oracle ?

I know that SQL Server if possible

thanks in advanced

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Eduardo,

You are able to view SDO_Geometry/Oracle Spatial data from within ArcGIS applications (as long as the Oracle client is installed and configured properly)

I do not think that you can edit the SDO_Geometry data with out the geodatabase tables. This is also true in SQL Server, you are unable to edit SQL Server spatial tables (with no geodatabase).

I have tested both databases systems with their native geometry and was unable to edit from within ArcMap from a non-geodatabase.

Hopefully this helps.

-George

--- George T.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
George_Thompson

Hi Eduardo,

You are able to view SDO_Geometry/Oracle Spatial data from within ArcGIS applications (as long as the Oracle client is installed and configured properly)

I do not think that you can edit the SDO_Geometry data with out the geodatabase tables. This is also true in SQL Server, you are unable to edit SQL Server spatial tables (with no geodatabase).

I have tested both databases systems with their native geometry and was unable to edit from within ArcMap from a non-geodatabase.

Hopefully this helps.

-George

--- George T.
Arturo_FranciscoAcosta_Bazán
Occasional Contributor

Thanks ,George

I found a video(Web enabling databases with ArcGIS for Server)  in that Ismael Ch. explained and maked edits on SQL without GDB, so I thought that it could also oracle.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I am not sure about the Server side and editing, but from ArcMap you can not.

I believe that it has something to do with Feature Services and editing that way.....

-George

--- George T.
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Editing data from a database is only possible from ArcGIS 10.2.x on-wards, using a Feature Service. It is not possible to edit the data coming from a simple database using ArcMap.

Databases and ArcGIS--

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos