Select to view content in your preferred language

Geodatabase Attachments will not open

05-17-2012 11:03 AM
BenDrury
Regular Contributor
We are adding pdf attachments to a geodatabase.  After adding several new features and attaching the corresponding pdf to the record, we've noticed that random attachments will not open.  When the map feature is identified or when the attachment manager is opened from the attribute table, it displays the pdf in the attachment manager...like it is there...but will not open.  We can remove the attachment and add it back and it will open.  When we initially add them and test them, they work.  But as we add more to the database, some of the attachments randomly stop working and have to be removed and re-added....  Any advice?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ScottMcGee
Regular Contributor
I'm also having problems with not being able to open attachments. In my case, the only way I can open an attachment is via the HTML Popup tool in ArcMap.

Even though the name of the attached file is listed in the Attachment Manager, Identify tool, Attributes window, and the attribute table, I am not able to open the file via these methods. In all of these cases I can double-click the file name but the attachment does not open (I'm attaching a PDF file to a line feature).

I'm using ArcGIS 10 Service Pack 5. My file GDB is at the current ArcGIS 10 version.

Any ideas why my attachment will open by using the HTML Popup tool and not the other methods?
0 Kudos
DamianFoster
Emerging Contributor
We are adding pdf attachments to a geodatabase.  After adding several new features and attaching the corresponding pdf to the record, we've noticed that random attachments will not open.  When the map feature is identified or when the attachment manager is opened from the attribute table, it displays the pdf in the attachment manager...like it is there...but will not open.  We can remove the attachment and add it back and it will open.  When we initially add them and test them, they work.  But as we add more to the database, some of the attachments randomly stop working and have to be removed and re-added....  Any advice?

Were you able to resolve this issues? I am running ArcGIS 10.1. i created my geodatabase locally and then exported it to an enterprise geodatabase. All looks good, the feature class, the related table and the relationship class, but in my case, the images wont open. Am I not suppose to move the database once attachments have been enable?
0 Kudos
BillLotz
Frequent Contributor

I know this is old, but any resolution. Having the same problem with tiff files. some open, some don't.

0 Kudos
JosephWallis
Emerging Contributor

do you find that they all do not open, or only some over a certain size?

I recently discovered that good PDFs in my geodatabase attachments will not open in a web browser from the rest end point if they are over a certain size (somewhere around 5Mb).

I'm not certain if this is something I need to adjust on my web server or within the rest endpoint configuration.

MarieCline_Delgado
Regular Contributor

Was anyone ever able to find a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
AliVanSickle
Emerging Contributor

Were you able to find anything else on this issue. I am running into the same issue. Any PDF over 5Mb will not open from the web browsers REST end point. It is odd and only appears to be happening to PDFs. I can open a JPEG that is greater than 5Mb in size and it opens no problem. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos