Geocoding style for Europe

10-20-2014 01:57 AM
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor

I am wondering, is there really no address locator style in ArcGIS which can be used without any tweaking for European addresses, which are written in the following format:

[Street Name] [House Nr.]

[ZIP] [City]

eg.

Kastanievej 15

8660 Skanderbort

Especially, the street name and house number line is important. I have build my own geocoder based on style "US Address—Single House", the house number is prior to streeet address in this style, thus it requires the address to be grammatically changed, before it is send to the locator. It is usually not really a big deal, but sometimes it can give you some headaches.

So I really wonder, why there is no style defined in ArcGIS for this widely used European address style? Some of the countries which use this address format in no particular order are:

• Denmark
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Austria
  • Faroe Islands
  • Netherland
  • Slovakia
  • Czech Republic
  • Italy
  • Belgium
  • Russia
  • and others

Do we, ESRI customers in these countries, not deserve a build-in address style (template) we could use for our geocoding services?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor

I can see, that there aren't many answers to question about geocoding in Europe. Can somebody from ESRI try to answer my question or let me know who could I contact in order to get some response to my question?

I believe that it shouldn't be so difficult to create new geocoding style for someone who was developing the styles. I have tried to alter the xml files of the geocoding style, but only with partial success. (It worked when I entered an address in geocoding toolbar in ArcMAP, but when I tried to geocode via python script, the address in format [street name] [house number] didn't worked.

0 Kudos
annavertinskaya
New Contributor

Hello!

I have the same problem. And I see noone still gave you an answer. Any way, you sad that "I have tried to alter the xml files of the geocoding style, but only with partial success". Could you, please, share your experience. It will be very halpfull.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor

Hi Anna.

I am sorry for a late answer. The solution I have tried was described in the following post:

Geocoding in Europe - House number on the right side of address

0 Kudos