Geocoding Parcel + Tax Roll Table

08-08-2011 08:00 AM
KenDoman
Occasional Contributor II
I'm trying to create a geocoding service using a parcel feature class and a tax roll table. Parcel feature has the location, and the tax roll has the address and street data for a single house geocoding search. The parcels and the tax roll are usually joined by parcel id number.

I noticed that the geocoding uses either alternative names or alias tables. Is there any way to use the parcel features and the tax roll table for geocoding without having to merge them into a new "parcel with addresses" feature?

I'm using ArcGIS 10.0, ArcCatalog, and will make the address locator available through ArcGIS Server as part of a composite address locator, if any of that helps.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
PeterHanmore
New Contributor III
I would be interested to find a solution to this also.
We have just started a project to replace our existing geocoder with new locator services but have run into the same issue with parcels.  Our spatial layer (in SDE) only has an ID which is joined to our parcel address table which has all the address information.
For the moment I've had to join the two tables and export them to a file geodatabase but I'd rather hit our live SDE database directly.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
If the tax roll and the parcels are joined by PIN why not simply create a centroid for each parcel and append the Tax Roll data to the resulting point feature.

I'm trying to create a geocoding service using a parcel feature class and a tax roll table. Parcel feature has the location, and the tax roll has the address and street data for a single house geocoding search. The parcels and the tax roll are usually joined by parcel id number.

I noticed that the geocoding uses either alternative names or alias tables. Is there any way to use the parcel features and the tax roll table for geocoding without having to merge them into a new "parcel with addresses" feature?

I'm using ArcGIS 10.0, ArcCatalog, and will make the address locator available through ArcGIS Server as part of a composite address locator, if any of that helps.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Can't you just set the tax roll table to be the alternative name or alias table?
0 Kudos
PeterHanmore
New Contributor III
Can't you just set the tax roll table to be the alternative name or alias table?

The problem is that the primary table (parcel feature class) does not have ANY address information - it's all in the tax roll table (or parcel address table in my case) but the single address locator style requires a street name field on the primary table.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
How about using a spatial view to get the address data from the tax roll table part of the parcel feature class?
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
If you generate centroids for the parcels that resulting point feature will contain the parcel id number that is associated with the PIN.  Then you join the point feature to the tax roll table and you now have a point feature that contains all the data from tax roll and is in the middle of the parcel.

Same result as geocoding except without as many geocoding errors or headaches
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
What if the centroid falls outside the parcel?
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
You would have to manually clean up those that fell outside.

Or you could create annotation.  make the label a single period.  Create the labels so they are placed inside the polygon and not allowed to go outside.  Annotate them and X,Y the centroid of the annotation polygon.

Then you would have to join the point feature to the polygon to extract the PIN.

Probably more of an issue if you are in an area with metes and bounds parcels or with a lot of long lots.

Look at the samples I posted. I found a lake in my system where the centroid falls outside of the lake.  I created labels out of Ampersands and then generated X,Y on the lakes.  You can then generate points from those x,y coordinates.

I tried it again using the lake name as the label and just made it really small. It still puts the anno in the polygon somewhere.

However, by using the lake name, or in your case the PIN it would preserve the PIN when you create points from that X,Y data.

What if the centroid falls outside the parcel?
0 Kudos