Geocoding HELP! UGH.

11-08-2010 08:15 AM
JustineJedlicka
New Contributor
Hi - I am really thinking this should not be so difficult 😞  I'm simply trying to create an address locator off of a parcels layer. I have a geocoded table that was created off a roads layer but the points are so offset it's basically useless. (Parcels are offset from the road due to buffers, etc.)

1. Created an address locator from parcels layer using US One Address
2. Geocode my table which has data ex: 100 S 200 E for address, all in the same city - city and state are in other columns.
3. I am mapping both the address and street to the 'parcel address' column since it is one feature per address.
4. The output only geocodes a couple of points and I can clearly see in the tables the data "100 S 200 E" looks the exact same.

I can't figure out why it will not recognize the data when I can clearly see the address is the same...

PS - it's all in the same geodb too. Please help!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
GlennCondon
New Contributor
Sorry UGH don't have a clue what you problem might be but can empathesize with your experience.  My experience with V10 geocoding has been similar.  I'm using the US Streets with Dual Ranges and I can't get anything to match.  Read the comments on this thread and found State field wasn't optional (as was the case in 9.3) so rebuilt my Locator with this useless piece of information and got the same results.  I'm ready to just bag it and look at other software packages.  I never could understand why ESRI can't seem to build a competitive product for geocoding (and web mapping)! Developers should step out into the real world for a bit.  May help them understand how the product is being used. 

GC
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hi - I am really thinking this should not be so difficult 😞  I'm simply trying to create an address locator off of a parcels layer. I have a geocoded table that was created off a roads layer but the points are so offset it's basically useless. (Parcels are offset from the road due to buffers, etc.)

1. Created an address locator from parcels layer using US One Address
2. Geocode my table which has data ex: 100 S 200 E for address, all in the same city - city and state are in other columns.
3. I am mapping both the address and street to the 'parcel address' column since it is one feature per address.
4. The output only geocodes a couple of points and I can clearly see in the tables the data "100 S 200 E" looks the exact same.

I can't figure out why it will not recognize the data when I can clearly see the address is the same...

PS - it's all in the same geodb too. Please help!

Sounds like you are geocoding in Utah.  I suggest you take a look at parcel data and make sure the Parcel Address or whatever field you are hitting against is properly formatted to accept #### E #### S etc.  My guess is the parcels are using South or So or East or whatever, and that's what's goofing on you.  Single point address locators can be very unforgiving and the spelling needs to be exact to make a match; this includes leading and/or trailing spaces in the address of the parcel.  (Haven't seen any of those since the last time I matched against parcels...)

Keep in mind that once you get the parcel thing straightened out, the points geocoded along the streets will have a different location than the ones matched against the parcels for two reasons:

1. Street matching is interpolated, so on a street between 100 E and 200 E, the interpolation would put the address 150 E in the middle of the block, and that may or may not be the case.
2. Unless you are using something special to match against with your parcels, the point generated from a positive geocoded match will assume the location of the parcel polygon centroid.

Good luck-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JustineJedlicka
New Contributor
Hi - thank you for your reply - yes, I'm geocoding in Utah. I did think of the So vs S and manually adjusted my data to match. In fact...unfortunately I got more results just doing a join (to verify to myself that the data is formated propertly.) I do need to figure out why this isn't working though as I will come accross this often & have spent days on this. I have ~5000 records and get literally less then a dozen matches.

Is there any other type of format option I should be aware of?
Do you use the same address locator?

Thanks.

Sounds like you are geocoding in Utah.  I suggest you take a look at parcel data and make sure the Parcel Address or whatever field you are hitting against is properly formatted to accept #### E #### S etc.  My guess is the parcels are using South or So or East or whatever, and that's what's goofing on you.  Single point address locators can be very unforgiving and the spelling needs to be exact to make a match; this includes leading and/or trailing spaces in the address of the parcel.  (Haven't seen any of those since the last time I matched against parcels...)

Keep in mind that once you get the parcel thing straightened out, the points geocoded along the streets will have a different location than the ones matched against the parcels for two reasons:

1. Street matching is interpolated, so on a street between 100 E and 200 E, the interpolation would put the address 150 E in the middle of the block, and that may or may not be the case.
2. Unless you are using something special to match against with your parcels, the point generated from a positive geocoded match will assume the location of the parcel polygon centroid.

Good luck-
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Try using a Single Field type of locator, and use the Parcel Address or what ever it's called as the key field.  I've found that type of locator to work pretty well with the parcels I use.

If you are still having a problem, email me: FirstIntitialLastName at the CompanyName dot com in my signiture block below.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you supply me with some data?  I can take a look at it.

Brad
0 Kudos