GDBT tool - versioning lineage questions

08-09-2010 05:47 AM
PeterBaldwin
New Contributor II
Hello,

I have been using the GDBT tool to monitor one of our SDE instances which has a lot of different versions created against it and has a complicated 'versioning lineage'. I just had a couple of questions about how this function works.

1) Does it matter which named version you right click on and select Pseudo-Compress or Find Reconcile Order as it appears to give exactly the same results whichever one you click on and I can't see why it would be different depending upon which one you clicked on. As you have to right click on an individual named version though I initially assumed it must be different for each named version.

2) When I do Pseudo-Compress it never looks exactly the same as when I do an actual compress and compare it afterwards. The lineage after a compression still contains a number of states that looked as if they should have been compressed according to the pseudo-compress. How does the pseudo-compress work and is it expected that it won't look exactly the same when you do an actual compress. I'm concerned that something has gone wrong somewhere and not everything is being posted back to the base tables correctly.

Thanks for your help,

Peter.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
FarrellChristopher
New Contributor
Peter,

I am in this similar situation and have the same questions. Did you get answer to this ?

thanks

Farrell Chris.
0 Kudos
TomBrown
New Contributor
Any chance you could provide a description of what you're attempting to accomplish? What is it in your workflow or your admin task that you're attempting to learn from the tool?

Thank you for any additional details.
0 Kudos
PeterBaldwin
New Contributor II
I am trying to post all of the changes made back to the base version by compressing the database. The problem is that there are a lot of different versions created between the base version and the states following the changes so I have been trying to use the GDBT tool to follow the process better.
0 Kudos
TomBrown
New Contributor
Thank you Peter for explaining.

If you are not an ArcObject's developer, then right now the methodology you are using is one of the few ways to obtain or identify which versions need to be reconciled with DEFAULT to be able to compress all the edits in the DEFAULT version's lineage to the base tables.

If you are able to use ArcObjects, we have a method called RecommendedReconcileOrder which will return an enumeration of all versions which are preventing the DEFAULT version from being compressed (which prevents the rows in the delta tables from being moved to the base tables).

Another methodolgy to obtain this information is via SQL - search the KB articles under versioning or recommended reconcile order and they will provide an example of how to detect these versions via SQL.

Finally, this functional requirement is something we will be providing in the UI with core ArcGIS in the next release.

Thanks.
0 Kudos