Finished sketch too early

05-16-2012 08:47 AM
ChrisSevers
New Contributor
This has happened to me on a number of occasions, and is extremely inefficient. I was in the process of sketching a polygon, when instead of right click and hitting "finish part" I accidentally hit "finish sketch." When I undo, the entire sketch is deleted, I am not put back into sketching mode. How can I get back to sketching, or is there some tool similar to reshape feature, or edit verticies, that will allow me to modify my sketch? I realize I could make a new shapefile, and use geoprocessing, clip to achieve the same effect, but that seems like a lot of additional work to do something that must already be built in.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
ThanielG
Occasional Contributor
Happens to me all the time.  Well, not all the time, but you get the point.  Basically what I do is draw the rest of your sketch, select the two sketches, hit the Editor dropdown and choose Merge.
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
actually if you do "finish sketch" too early you can right click on the sketch and select replace sketch, then click "finish part" and then draw the rest.
0 Kudos
ThanielG
Occasional Contributor
actually if you do "finish sketch" too early you can right click on the sketch and select replace sketch, then click "finish part" and then draw the rest.

ah sweet, even better!  never forget the always helpful right click!
0 Kudos
ChrisSevers
New Contributor
Thank you!
0 Kudos
ChrisSevers
New Contributor

There is no option called "replace sketch" when I right click on my object.

Nevermind I found it. You have to select the object, then go back to segment tool, then right click. It doesn't work if you select using the edit tool.
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
There is no option called "replace sketch" when I right click on my object.

Nevermind I found it. You have to select the object, then go back to segment tool, then right click. It doesn't work if you select using the edit tool.

OK, but if you just hit finish sketch and you realize it right away, you should be able to immediately right-click and replace sketch will be available.
0 Kudos
ChrisSevers
New Contributor

I was wrong. This does not work. Still seeking a solution. If you right click, repalce sketch, then finish part, it will not allow you to draw empty area inside of objects, which is what I need to do, it will only allow you to add area to the existing object.
0 Kudos
ChrisSevers
New Contributor
OK, but if you just hit finish sketch and you realize it right away, you should be able to immediately right-click and replace sketch will be available.

Yes, you are right. However, it will not allow you to add void areas to preexisting objects.
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
I was wrong. This does not work. Still seeking a solution. If you right click, replace sketch, then finish part, it will not allow you to draw empty area inside of objects, which is what I need to do, it will only allow you to add area to the existing object.

Not sure how you are doing this.  I just tested and it worked fine to draw an empty middle to create a doughnut.

These are the steps I did...

Drew rectangle
Right Clicked on Finish Sketch
Right Clicked on replace sketch
Right Clicked on Finish Part
Drew out doughnut hole in middle
Right Clicked on Finish Sketch

Worked perfectly:)
0 Kudos