Feature templates and formulas

05-14-2015 01:05 PM
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to write in a formula like you would with field calculator. for example we have fields in our layers that require the OID number so that the new "asset" we create in our GIS will be populated in our asset management program. So an example of this would be for our water lines the field that is mapped to our asset manager is the "WM" field. In order for that asset to be put into our asset manager the field must be populated like so "WM_12345" (12345 being the OID of the feature just created) Is there a way in the templates to add the expression "WM_"& [OID] so that when I digitize a new feature that field gets populated "WM_12345"

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PatriciaMoehring
Occasional Contributor

Are you using Attribute Assistant tools?  You can create a new field (FacilityID) then set up the Generate ID table and Dynamic Value table to auto-populate the FacilityID field with the info you are looking for.

0 Kudos
ErikBlake

Patricia

No I am not. As we are not using the LGIM (If I am understanding correctly what the Attribute assistant Tools are) . Also How our asset management system works is that it is mapped to a specific GIS database and then each field in our GIS layers are mapped to a specific field in the Lucity database. So trying to remap everything to new fields and databases would be sort of a lengthy process. It's not that big of a deal I just thought if I could save a couple of steps in the mind numbing task of digitizing and attributing that would be great. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

The attribute assistant can be used on any data model with any data schema.  We just deliver it pre-configured for layers modeled in the Local Government Information model. 

0 Kudos
ErikBlake

Mike

Thanks for that info. I was not aware of that. So If I was to look into this do I have to download the pre-configured one for LGIM and then tweak it to our schema. Or is there one I can download that is not already pre-configured specifically for LGIM

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

We do not currently provide the tools as a separate download.  You will need to download one of the solutions that include it. 

0 Kudos