Feature Classes

Jump to solution
08-06-2015 12:35 PM
MikeFroese
New Contributor II

I am editing some electrical feature classes that have up to 5000 features . When I add the feature classes to a mxd and hit start editing it takes 3 or 4 minutes to start. When I scroll in the attribute tables it will freeze up for a couple of minutes no matter how slow I scroll.

Also I cannot highlight to many features because it freezes up. I have tried all kinds of tips and tricks on the web and nothing is working.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since this a duplicate of your other discussion, you should delete that one. Also add some tags in this one to tell us what version you're running

View solution in original post

18 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

5000 features isn't that many, so I doubt that alone is the problem. What type of features are they? For example, are they polygons with a billion vertices each? Also, you say you add the feature classes. How many feature classes? How many attributes are in the freezing attribute table?

0 Kudos
MikeFroese
New Contributor II

I have electrical points and lines. I have 3 or 4 point feature classes that have less than 1000 features each with 30 attribute fields and same with lines except there are 5000 features each. The bigger the number the more problems I have or freezing  up. Plus when I start the editing session it takes 4 minutes to start

Thanks

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Possible map problems:

- try a fresh mxd

- try deleting Normal.mxt

Possible data problems:

- try exporting feature classes to fresh FGDB or shapefile - are these GDB feature classes, shapefiles, or other?

- are the feature classes participating in a network or otherwise doing something non-standard?

- does this type of lag occur with other feature classes?

- do the feature classes reside on your machine?

Basically, as you've described them, the feature classes sound pretty standard so I suspect there is something more systematic going on. At the very least, you should be able to start a new mxd, add one of the feature classes, and edit it with no problem.

KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since this a duplicate of your other discussion, you should delete that one. Also add some tags in this one to tell us what version you're running

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
  1. What is the DBMS being used?
  2. What is the version of ArcGIS software being used? What is the sde gdb version?
  3. What Configuration Keyword is the data stored in (ST_Geometry, Geometry, SDEBinary, SDELOB, etc)
  4. Is the issue with performance happening on multiple machines?
  5. What happens if you copy the same data to a File gdb? How is the performance there?
0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Mike:

If the data is stored in a File or Personal Geodatabase, try running the Compact Geodatabase tool on it.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
MikeFroese
New Contributor II

I put all the data into a file GDB. It a lot faster! A question others are asking is there a problem if I work in a file GDB transfer it to a personal GDB. Is it compatible both ways without corrupting any data etc...?

It doesn't seem like it to me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
  1. So where was your data originally? An sde geodatabase?
  2. If yes, what DBMS is being used? (Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc?)
0 Kudos
MikeFroese
New Contributor II

Server and Oracle

0 Kudos