Failed to create feature dataset Arcgis 10.3

03-13-2016 05:22 AM
VaidhyPanday
New Contributor II

hi all,

i have installed arcgis 10.3 and connected with oracle with a direct connection.

i am able to create feature class and on top of that i am able to perform all  feature class operations.

but while creating a feature dataset it throws a error.and doesnt create feature dataset.

am i missing something in configuration ? !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
UmakantJoglekar2
New Contributor III

Hi Vaidhy Panday,

Can you right click on your connection (connection to panday) and paste the screen capture of options available?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
VaidhyPanday
New Contributor II

0 Kudos
UmakantJoglekar2
New Contributor III

Thank you for the screen capture!

This explains why you cannot create a feature dataset. You are working with an Oracle database with NO geodatabase in it. A feature class is nothing but a table with spatial column in it however feature dataset is a logical geodatabase entity which requires you to have geodatabase enabled in order to create/use feature dataset.

You can create feature classes in this Oracle database with SDO_GEOMETRY storage type (Oracle spatial) or ST_GEOMETRY storage type if you have added it using following tool:

Add the ST_Geometry type to an Oracle database—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

However if you would like to take advantage of geodatabase functionalities like feature dataset, topology, geometric network, multi-user editing etc you will have to run 'Enable Enterprise Geodatabase' tool against this Oracle database:

Enable Enterprise Geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

You can read more about this here:

Set up a geodatabase in Oracle—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

A quick tour of the geodatabase—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you created an enterprise geodatabase in it?

Create Enterprise Geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Think Location
0 Kudos
VaidhyPanday
New Contributor II

No,but i am able to create feature classes..

0 Kudos