Select to view content in your preferred language

Failed ArcSDE Connections

11-17-2013 11:14 AM
CharlesTilly
Deactivated User
I have a v.10 ArcSDE on Oracle 11 using the Oracle SDO geometry runing on Windows 2003 Server.  The problem I have is that a number of workstations can't connect to the geodatabase using SDE connect, and the direct connects take minutes just to establish the connection.  The workstations are running Windows 7.

On the workstation within ArcCatalog the ArcSDE connection throws an error:  Network I/O Error
And on the server the SDE error log shows:

[GIOMGR] Connection timeout from [xx.xx.xx.xx:yyyy]
[GIOMGR] Could Not Get XDR Request.

These same workstations can connect to our 9.3.1 ArcSDE instance without issue using SDE connections.  The ArcSDE 9.3.1 instance is running on a similar server configuration.    Additionally, using SQLPLUS I can connect and even query the v.10 geodatabase from these workstations so I know the network isn't restricting them.  I performed a similar test with an ODBC connection, so I know both ODBC and OraNet both work.  The problem only appears with ArcGIS Desktop v.10 attempting to make this connection.

Any ideas about what may be going on here and how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Chuck
0 Kudos
4 Replies
EmadAl-Mousa
Deactivated User
most probably a network issue, check your firewall settings.
0 Kudos
CharlesTilly
Deactivated User
most probably a network issue, check your firewall settings.

No, it isn't that; we checked that a long time ago.  Also, the clients can connect to the 9.3.1 SDE wihtout issue.  It is only the v.10 they can't connect to, and these servers are part of the same subnet.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Are the 9.3.1 SDE and 10.0 instances on the same host?  If not, then them being in the
same subnet has no bearing on whether Windows Firewall has been configured on the
10.0 host.

The error message really does indicate a firewall is blocking connectivity.  Try using telnet
on the application server port from one of the clients.  If that can't generate an error on
both sides, you have a port connectiviity issue.

Slow connection speed with Direct Connect is likely a *different* issue, but it could be
complicated by an aggressive firewall logging all Oracle traffic.

- V
0 Kudos
CharlesTilly
Deactivated User
Vince,

Thanks for the response.

Are the 9.3.1 SDE and 10.0 instances on the same host?

No

If not, then them being in the same subnet has no bearing on whether Windows Firewall has been configured on the 10.0 host.

We don't run Windows Firewall on these servers; handled upstream in out network, so being within the same subnet makes a difference because the exact same firewall services both servers.

Try using telnet on the application server port from one of the clients.

Not able to do this because telnet & ssh clients aren't installed.  However, I'm confident we don't have a port connectivity issue because there are some machines that can connect to the v.10 server.  What we've figured out is that those machines coming in on satellite are the machines experiencing the problem.  Those coming in on fiber have no problem.

__________v.9.3.1______v.10_____

_fiber________Y__________Y______

_satellite_____Y__________N______