Export to CAD

04-06-2011 01:53 PM
JeremyRoss
New Contributor
I have used Model builder to create a tool to export our GIS data to CAD. When using the Export to CAD tool on a selected set of data the data exports correctly. The issue I am having is that if there is no selected data of a feature class in the model, the export tool will export the entire feature class. This results in lengthy export times along with unneeded data in the created CAD file.

I want the tool to export the selected data only. Is there something I am missing.

We are running ESRI 9.3.1, ArcFm Solution 9.3.1

ACAD AUD 2006.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III
I have used Model builder to create a tool to export our GIS data to CAD. When using the Export to CAD tool on a selected set of data the data exports correctly. The issue I am having is that if there is no selected data of a feature class in the model, the export tool will export the entire feature class. This results in lengthy export times along with unneeded data in the created CAD file.

I want the tool to export the selected data only. Is there something I am missing.

We are running ESRI 9.3.1, ArcFm Solution 9.3.1

ACAD AUD 2006.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

You can display a subset of features in a layer. You can use Make Feature Layer tool and then export this new layer using Export to CAD. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
JeremyRoss
New Contributor
Thanks for your reply,

A little more clarification as to what I am trying to accomplish. We use GIS to maintain our utility maps and use AUD (ACAD utility design) for our construction designs. We are trying to come up with a way to export a selected area on the GIS map to CAD. This is a phisyical selection, (cannot be done by query). So far I have used model builder to accomplish this. Our process is to navigate to the area we are working in, preform a selection with a selection window, and then run the export model. The main issue we are having is that when data from the feature classes is not selected, the model will export all the data from the feature class. We only want the selected data from our selection window.

Any suggestions are welcome.
0 Kudos
ShawnBenteau1
New Contributor II
Jeremy,
I have ran into the same issue and I use XTools Pro to extract features to shapefile/geodatabase, then export to CAD using a seed file. In Xtools Pro use Extract Map and you can define what to extract (current extent, selected graphics, or selected features in layer), just define output shapefiles or geodatabase and thats it. Then run the export to cad and you have your area of interest or features of interest into CAD.

Hope this helps,
Shawn
0 Kudos
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III
Thanks for your reply,

A little more clarification as to what I am trying to accomplish. We use GIS to maintain our utility maps and use AUD (ACAD utility design) for our construction designs. We are trying to come up with a way to export a selected area on the GIS map to CAD. This is a phisyical selection, (cannot be done by query). So far I have used model builder to accomplish this. Our process is to navigate to the area we are working in, preform a selection with a selection window, and then run the export model. The main issue we are having is that when data from the feature classes is not selected, the model will export all the data from the feature class. We only want the selected data from our selection window.

Hi Jeremy,

Once you have selected the desired features, you can right click on Layer and select Data > Export Data. Choose Selected features option from there.Pls refer to this help topic.
0 Kudos
MarianneHabal
New Contributor
Thanks for your reply,

Hi Jeremy, we are doing the same here but having to go through the Export to CAD window where you have to select every single layer to export. Pretty much it is very tedious especially if you want all layers in the CAD and this is done almost everyday. Do you mind sending me a copy of your modelbuilder or at least a snapshot to get an idea how to go about creating ours? Thanks a lot for your time!
0 Kudos