Excel Data into ArcGIS

01-27-2014 09:56 AM
MoniqueDawson
New Contributor
Hi all,

I am trying to import/attach excel data (MaxTemp, MinTemp, precipitation) to a multi-point shapefile. Is there a faster way of doing it other than editing each point shapefile attribute table?

MO
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hi all,

I am trying to import/attach excel data (MaxTemp, MinTemp, precipitation) to a multi-point shapefile. Is there a faster way of doing it other than editing each point shapefile attribute table?

MO

I take it you have a common item between the two tables right? 

My personal approach would be to create a database table from the excel data.  And, assuming that when you say shapefile you really mean point feature class, you should probably put the the excel data into the same database as your points.  Then use a relate to see what data go with what points, via the common item.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
You could try python scripting to convert the Excel data to a table and then using joins to get the data from Excel into the shapefile.

I would also suggest moving the data to a file geodatabase and performing the data manipulation there as it is less buggy than shapefiles.
0 Kudos
MoniqueDawson
New Contributor
I take it you have a common item between the two tables right? 

My personal approach would be to create a database table from the excel data.  And, assuming that when you say shapefile you really mean point feature class, you should probably put the the excel data into the same database as your points.  Then use a relate to see what data go with what points, via the common item.

The problem is that the excel data does not have the same field as the point shapefile. The point names of each point matches the ID field in excel data instead. I would have to add a field that would link them so I can perform a join
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Are you going to perform this operation often with data updates from excel that need to be added to the shapefile (or file geodatabase feature class if you go with that format)?  If so, I would script this process out.
0 Kudos