Error when building geometric network

08-30-2013 06:06 AM
TorbjørnDalløkken
New Contributor II
Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, it's either geoprocessing or this one, but I'll give it a try. 🙂

I'm working for a water and wastewater department, and we have lots of GIS data. The data is registered in a ArcSDE-database, which we've now upgraded to ArcSDE 10.1. I'm trying to create a geometric network from some of these data, which would be beneficial for use in analysis. However, each time I try to build my geometric network I get this error, which you can see in the attatched picture.

"A failure was detected inside the topology engine. The number of points is less than required for feature".

I'm using 5 featureclasses as input to the geometric network. The role of the featureclasses is like this:
- polyline class: complex edge
- polyline class: simple edge:
- point class: simple junction
- point class: simple junction
- point class: simple junction - source/sink

Does anyone know what the error-message means? Are there any meaningfull explanations for why this happens?

Regards, Torbjørn

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27112[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Reply
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
That error is generated when  a geometry does not have enough unique coordinates (one vertex
in a line part, or under 4 in a polygon). It's usually caused by below-resolution coordinate differences
collapsing geoemtries [e.g., "LINE (4.00000,4.00000 4.00001,4.00001)" with a coordsys xyscale
of 1000 resolves to "LINE (4.000,4.000 4.000,4.000)", which is only one distinct point].

You probably want to review the coordinate reference and comparison tolerances on your network.

- V
0 Kudos