Error: 10.1 Geocoding "Cannot connect to this server"

10-01-2012 02:46 PM
ArinaChesnokova
New Contributor III
Hi! Not a very experienced ArcGIS user, so this might be trivial. Help nonetheless appreciated.

Trying to geocode some addresses from a .csv file. Using the built-in geocoder "10.0 US Streets Geocode Service (ArcGIS Online)"

After a short period (~5 mins), the geocoder quits, returning the following error:
"There was an error trying to process this table.
Cannot connect to this server."

I'm using a virtual desktop to perform the work. Is that the issue?

Many thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DonaldLund
New Contributor II
I am also looking into building my own composite locator using the data provided on the Maps DVD/download.  I was using the ArcGIS Online North American locator and it is no longer available in 10.1 SP 1. 

There are a few locators pre-built in the Maps data, but they handle full addresses and postal data only.  I need to re-create the functionality of the North American locator (Address, City / State, Street, Zip) in one composite locator using the maps data.

So far I haven't found any way to build the City/State portion of the composite locator based on this data.  I don't see any table that links city and state in the same table.  Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated, and would probably help the other poster as well.

Thank you!

I was able to figure out how to used the download and make the locator work as written. I could help you with that, if you need it, but I'm arfraid I'm too much of a newb to help you build or reconfigure a composite locator.
0 Kudos