ERROR 000047: Could not open locator workspace

04-14-2011 06:25 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Running ArcGIS 10 (Build ) on 64bit Windows 7. When trying to create a new locator (any) within a specific folder or a file geodatabase within that folder, I recieve the following error message: ERROR 000047: Could not open locator workspace. I noticed an archived forum post addressing the same issue from back in 2009 with no responses (http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1113&t=284837). The Help text is not very helpful in finding a solution. Has anyone else run into this and have any ideas on what the problem is or a work around?

Thanks,
James
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
This isn't much help, but here's a link to an even earlier thread: http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=158&f=2284&t=265675

Perhaps you need to log a bug with support?
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks Joe. Seems this has been an issue for quite some time.
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
My first thought would be that you don't have access to the location that you are trying to create the locator in.

Brad
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Simple, and that seems logical, but one of the first things I checked was permissions.
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
How large is your reference data?  Do you have any of the service packs installed (sp1 or sp2)?  Can you provide me with your reference data so that I can try it on my side?

Brad
0 Kudos
AnneShort
New Contributor II
I got the same error message when trying to run 'Create Address Locator' today.  No one is connected to my SDE database, and I can clearly connect through ArcCatalog to the reference featureclass.  Please let me know if you hear anything.

-Annie
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
I got the same error message when trying to run 'Create Address Locator' today.  No one is connected to my SDE database, and I can clearly connect through ArcCatalog to the reference featureclass.  Please let me know if you hear anything.

-Annie

What version of ArcGIS are you using?  What database are you using?  What version of SDE are you using?  What are your database permissions and what type of connection are you using (direct connection or SDE connnection)?

Brad
0 Kudos
AnneShort
New Contributor II
What version of ArcGIS are you using?  What database are you using?  What version of SDE are you using?  What are your database permissions and what type of connection are you using (direct connection or SDE connnection)?

Brad

ArcGIS 10 SP2, Enterprise SDE (SDE securities), ArcSDE 10 SP1, direct connection, connected as SDE user
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
It could be a known issue with long connection names.  Is the direct connect string really long?

Brad
0 Kudos