Entry for SDE instance not found in services file

09-07-2010 01:21 PM
NormZastre
New Contributor
I have recently installed version 10, and would like to use the personal version of SDE. I have installed sqlexpress via the installation wizard which installed SDE. Now when I try to "Add Spatial Database connection" however I get the following error. "Entry for SDE instance not found in services file".

Windows 7 x64

Is another step required?

Please see the attached screen shot
0 Kudos
10 Replies
VipulBhatia
New Contributor
Connecting to a geodatabase in SQL Server Express

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/00sn/00sn00000008000000.htm

Please refer the following help topic.
0 Kudos
NormZastre
New Contributor
Thanks for the prompt response. I believe I am getting closer...

Now I am getting the following error..

Failed to connect to database.
This release of the GeoDatabase is either invalid or out of date.
DBMS table not found [aa.sde.GDB_Release]
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Hi,

You stated that you installed SQL Server Express, but you didn't mention if you created a geodatabase.  Did you connect to the database server node in ArcCatalog as a database server administrator and create a geodatabase already?  If not, there isn't any geodatabase to connect to so creating a Spatial Database Connection won't work.

See this topic for an overview of getting started with ArcSDE geodatabases in SQL Server Express.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/A_quick_tour_of_setting_up_and_using_d...

-Kim
0 Kudos
NormZastre
New Contributor
I guess that is the root of the problem. I cannot create a "New Geodatabase.." I installed sqlexpress and SDE personal (wizard) as the Administrator.

see the attached

norm
0 Kudos
CherylCleghorn
Esri Contributor
Did you add an administrative user when prompted during the installation process?
0 Kudos
NormZastre
New Contributor
Yes, when prompted I entered my domain credentials, see attached.

thx
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Are you using an ArcView license?  You cannot create new ArcSDE geodatabases with an ArcView license. When I've seen the New Geodatabase option inactive before it was usually due to the Desktop license level.
0 Kudos
NormZastre
New Contributor
Yes, we are using an Arcview License. So I guess the personal SDE is useless unless you have at least ArcEditor or access to another system that can create ArcSDE geodatabases.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
LefterisKoumis
Occasional Contributor III
Even though if you have ArcEditor, you will need ArcSDE Enterprise edition on the server to create a geodatabase from ArcEditor. You can edit an existing geodatabase with ArcSDE workgroup edition.
0 Kudos