Enable Enterprise Geodatabase to new user's schem doesn't work

06-30-2014 09:52 AM
MarioRocha
New Contributor
Hi!
I've tried to Enable Geodatabase to existing user, but the ArcGIS show me: "Executing: EnableEnterpriseGeodatabase "Database Connections\RNCET - GIS2.sde" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ESRI\License10.2\sysgen\keycodes"
Start Time: Mon Jun 30 14:48:38 2014
WARNING 000152: Geodatabase instance already exists.
Succeeded at Mon Jun 30 14:48:38 2014 (Elapsed Time: 0.14 seconds)"

I have already two users SDE(SYSTEM TABLES) and GIS(FEATURES), but I want to use a MULTIGEODATABASE  with the same oracle instance.

Configuration:
ArcGIS 10.2 64 bits, Windows 7 64 bits, Oracle 11g R2.
0 Kudos
15 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I've created in excess of 10,000 geodatabase instances in the past 18 years.  I've never
had difficulty creating multiple users in a single instance, then creating and registering
tables with the geodatabase as those users.  "Enable Enterprise Geodatabase" only happens
once, and the rest is just basic administration.  If users can't create tables, that's a database
administration issue (missing required permissions).

- V
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor
I'm sorry but this seems like a solution that is looking for a problem.  Per best practices (and you can ask Mike Jensen at ESRI), in ANY rdbms, you should be creating and using a headless data owner in your rdbms, then assigning privileges appropriate to that owner.  DBO or SDE should never own the data or schema, and unless each of your users is an sde administrator themselves capable of understanding and managing sde geodatabase objects, versioning, states, etc. they should never own data either. 

For example, on our production geodatabase, GIS owns all data.  Users and AD groups are placed in view-only roles.  Our production geodatabase is actually the child gdb of our 11 edit user database instances, to which we replicate data weekly.  In each of our edit database instances, each utilizes a headless data owner and users are assigned to editor roles with view, create, update and delete privileges.
Thanks
David
0 Kudos
MarioRocha
New Contributor
Thank you for your attention!
Only SDE user-schem has the system tables, and the best pratice says to separate two instances, ok!
But if I don't have another option, Can I do a SDE  like master administrator scheme and a GIS with GDB,COLUMN_REGISTRY,TABLE_REGISTRY tables? If answer yes, so how can I do it?
0 Kudos
MarioRocha
New Contributor
I've created in excess of 10,000 geodatabase instances in the past 18 years.  I've never
had difficulty creating multiple users in a single instance, then creating and registering
tables with the geodatabase as those users.  "Enable Enterprise Geodatabase" only happens
once, and the rest is just basic administration.  If users can't create tables, that's a database
administration issue (missing required permissions).

- V

But the other users has the same SDE privilegies, Can you explain the step-to-step to do it?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I'm afraid that I can't help you.  I suggest you contact Tech Support, explain to them
what you're trying to accomplish, and heed their advice on how to accomplish it.

- V
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor
I would have to agree with Vince on this. I can tell you that when you set up your SDE repositories (at least in SQL) as either SDE or DBO (depending on your model) sde or dbo will own the system tables.   For example, since we use direct-connect, DBO owns all the SDE system objects.  But once you add a headless user, and assign object-ownership rights to that user through your rdbms, all user GIS data will then be owned by that user as you 1: connect to your user dbs as the headless owner, and 2: then load data (featurdatasets, featureclasses, tables).  This way, all user-schema changes have to be performed as the data owner while administrative tasks are performed as SDE (or dbo) protecting integrity and performance-
David
0 Kudos