Enable Editor Tracking

11-12-2012 06:27 AM
AndrewWharton
New Contributor
I am trying to enable editor tracking on datasets and am running into some problems. The simplest way to enable tracking is in the datasets under manage, but if I use that it automatically uses UTM for the dates which I don't want.

So instead I try properties on each feature class but with this method I have to create each field first that the data will populate into. With this method I can pick database time, though.

The third method is using the Enable Editor Tracking tool. The first problem with this is when I enter the version 10.1 dataset it causes an error saying the dataset is from an earlier version that doesn't support editor tracking. Then I try an individual feature class and it does allow me to select it without that error and enter my settings, but when I run the tool it fails saying I did not set any fields to store the edits in, but I checked the option to create fields if they don't exist.

Is there a solution to this? The only way that works gives me UTM time, but I don't want to be stuck with that. I am migrating data and would like editor tracking enabled first so that it will populate the fields for creation.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
GregDreaper
New Contributor II
So why ESRI would default to UTC instead of DB time, I still cannot imagine.  However to enable DB time tracking, I was able to make this work without the model.  Although I felt like I was going around my rear to scratch my ear.

1. Add the fields by Enabling Editor tracking from the manage menu
2 Disable Editor tracking from the manage menu
3. Batch the Enable Editor tracking geoprocessing tool. (Note: you must select all the fields that you created from the previous steps.  Also the "ADD_FIELDS" does not work for me.)

I am using 10.1 Build 3143.

Hope this helps some else.

Greg
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
0 Kudos
GregDreaper
New Contributor II
FYSA.  I just got burned by this jewel below, http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00sq000000qm000000.
Why this would not be in the editor tracking "about" page, I have no idea!?!

00129: <value> Editor Tracking dates in database time zone

Desktop » Mapping » Publishing map services » Technical guide for map services » Prepare window messages

Services cannot include data where Editor Tracking is enabled and set to record dates in database time. Services can include data where Editor Tracking is enabled and set to record dates in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When publishing map services and feature services, this includes layers of stand-alone tables that reference datasets with Editor Tracking enabled. It also includes mosaic datasets with Editor Tracking enabled when publishing eimage services.

The <value> parameter covers the following:
�?�The mosaic dataset records
�?�Data frame has layers that record
�?�Data frame has layers and tables that record

Solution

To resolve this, the data in the map with editor tracking needs to use UTC. You must remove the layers or stand-alone tables in the map that record dates in the database's time zone, or disable Editor Tracking for these datasets.

If you need to publish these datasets and have Editor Tracking enabled, you will need to convert the time zone of the data to UTC. To do this, first disable Editor Tracking, then convert the dates to UTC and reenable Editor Tracking with the Record Dates in value set to UTC. You can convert the time values collected in one time zone to another time zone using the Convert Time Zone geoprocessing tool.

More information

Editor Tracking records who created or updated the features and when they did it. It is also required when you want to apply rules controlling edit permissions in feature services with ownership based on access control.

If you're planning on editing with the feature service, use UTC, a standard that is unaffected by differences in time zones. Since editors can apply edits from potentially anywhere in the world, UTC works well. UTC is also recommended if you'll be doing replication across time zones.

Learn more about tracking an editor's changes to data and how editor tracking works in a feature service
0 Kudos