Enable Editor Tracking tool does NOT work

12-22-2017 09:34 AM
HarlanMarshall
New Contributor III

I'm posting this as a discussion in hopes of helping someone else that encounters this same issue. I have already found a workaround so this is not a question.

I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 trying to enable editor tracking on all feature class datasets in a 10.5.1 enterprise geodatabase.

The datasets are all registered as versioned. They also all have archiving enabled. I am connecting to the database as the owner in ArcCatalog 10.5.1..

If I right-click a dataset, choose Manage and click Enable Editor Tracking, it will succeed using the default field names, create fields if they don't exist, and save times in UTC, none of which works for our situation because we already have fields for last edit name and date which have been populated by a custom ArcMap extension. Nor do we want UTC time. Because we do not want the defaults, I've tried every possible way to use the Enable Editor Tracking tool but it always throws "ERROR 001216: Editor Tracking not supported for dataset blah-blah". This is not correct because the geodatabase version is 10.5.1.

The workaround, which is not discussed in any ESRI Editor Tracking help pages that I could find, is to use the Editor Tracking tab in each feature class's properties page. There I can successfully set the tracking fields and set the time format. Rather painful for lots of feature classes but the tool does not work for me.

Hope this saves someone the time it cost me to figure this out.

Tags (1)
5 Replies
MichaelAdornetto1
New Contributor II

I'm getting this in 10.3.1 and 10.4.1,  it only to happens if in arcpy scripts or model builder, If I use the manage menu on the context menu I can but that doesn't really help considering I have to do this two 16 databases with multiple feature datasets, stand alone feature classes and tables. 

0 Kudos
TimJohnston3
New Contributor III

1) Make sure you don't have any ArcGIS Server/ArcGIS Portal services which point to the Feature Class.  For example, make sure you don't have a map deployed which has your feature class as a layer.  If so, then you need to disable or delete that map service.

2) Make sure you don't have any Attribute Rules defined for the Feature Class.

3) As an extra check, make sure there are no locks or users using the Feature Class.

If one of these things is active then you will get "ERROR 001216: Editor Tracking not supported for dataset blah-blah" when you try to enable editor tracking.  

JonathanPollack
Occasional Contributor

This gave me a TON of fits until I read your post.  Spent a few hours spinning my wheels until I deleted all LOCKS on the feature and it work fully.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I'm editing a feature class in ArcPro and am not seeing my EditDate or LastEditedUser fields update when I save changes. The feature class that I am working on resides in SDE and is usually edited in ArcGIS Desktop where I can see both of those fields updating as I edit features. I'm a bit concerned that if I turn editor tracking on in Pro that my SDE feature class will throw a fit if someone else decided to keep editing in ArcGIS Desktop. Just wondering if anyone has any documents or personal experience with errors/issues once edit tracking has been enables in ArcPro. Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
DavidTillberg_community
New Contributor II

This wasn't working and giving me error:

ERROR 001215: Enable editor tracking skipped for field: created_user.
    The application is not licensed to create or modify schema for this type of data

Even though docs say this works for all license levels, I had to change license level to standard to get this to work.  At least gave me useful error message that actually meant what it said.  You don't always get those!

0 Kudos