enable archiving

09-01-2011 10:34 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ehsan1980

hi..
i have a feature dataset into a personal geodatabase and i want to enable archiving, but "archiving" is not exit when i right click on the feature dataset. what should i do??
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

i forgot to say that i am using the arcgis 9.3 with arcinfo license.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

now , i was reading a ESRI paper,there was mentioned that data must reside in ArcSDE geodatabase. i dont have any experience about ArcSDE, please say to me if i install arcsde ,i need to install a RDBMS such asqlserevr or not??? my data is muximum 1 GB so i prefer to do not install SQLserevr, i want to know install just ARCSDE is enough ????
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

if i need to use sqlserver which version of it should be installed??
and also how should i install and set its settings??
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
ArcSDE is a technology that bridges ArcGIS to databases.  It is not a database, so a database
is required, but the choice of database for Enterprise ArcSDE is quite flexible.  However, if you
don't have an ArcGIS Server license, choosing the database for your ArcSDE deployment is
premature (the SQL-Server Express instance which backs Personal and Workgroup ArcSDE
instances is installed by ArcGIS -- you don't get to choose the version).

All the system requirements and installation documentation are online, so you can continue
your research via the search fields in the upper-right corner, or via search engine (for example,
a google on "arcsde archiving arcgis" returned this podcast transcript on archiving).

- V
0 Kudos