Empty Output Error Confusion

Jump to solution
05-22-2018 12:43 PM
BrettJohnson1
New Contributor

Why do I continue to get a "WARNING 000117: Warning empty output generated."???

I have two layers, both of them are polygons. One is a very simply created layer from points to a buffer, and the other is a complex layer with multiple polygons laying over more polygons. I'm running a Union to try and figure out the relationship of the simple point-buffer layer with every polygon it overlays. I don't change anything with the extent on the Union screen. All I do is add the layers, give the layers rankings, select a output location, and then run the Union. Whenever I run it, I get the "empty output" error. Why does this continue to happen? Anyone know? I've closed, re-opened, restarted, and nothing seems to change. 

Any ideas would be great!! Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Brett...

I did it in PRO but the procedure hasn't changed since ArcMap.

I suspect there is some difference in the order or options than what you did.

See the attached

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good chance that the files are in a different coordinate system, and actually don't overlap/intersect/union even though they project-on-the-fly to make it appear that they do

0 Kudos
BrettJohnson1
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply, Dan.

I went to the coordinate system, verified, changed, tested, and then repeated and still got the same empty output error.

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Select one feature from each featureclass that you are sure overlap.

Export them to a separate shapefiles (or a file geodatabase), zip and post in your original thread using the Advanced Editor (top right or your post), then Attach (bottom left).  Remember, you can't do this by replying to your thread, you have to click on the title to do this

0 Kudos
BrettJohnson1
New Contributor

Just attached them.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Brett...

I did it in PRO but the procedure hasn't changed since ArcMap.

I suspect there is some difference in the order or options than what you did.

See the attached

BrettJohnson1
New Contributor

Thank you, Dan. I followed your example and ran an Intersect...and it worked!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Brett, can you mark the correct answer so that others know a solution was arrived at.

0 Kudos