editor tracking

08-09-2011 11:21 AM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
if I enable tracking but forget about creator fields, is there an easy way to add and associate these fields or would the process be to disable, then reenable with these creator fields.

Like that if the fields do not exist, they will be created.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
If I disable editor tracking, the disable is still active.  enable is active as well.  I would expect that before enabling, the enable would be active, and the disable would be inactive.  After enabling, the enable would be inactive, and the disable would be active, and then after a disable, the disable should be inactive, with the enable active.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
If I add a createName and createDate through the enable gp tool, the length of the text field for createName is 0 length.  Is this expected?
0 Kudos
AndrewPerencsik
New Contributor
if I enable tracking but forget about creator fields, is there an easy way to add and associate these fields or would the process be to disable, then reenable with these creator fields.

Like that if the fields do not exist, they will be created.

Run the EnableEditorTracking tool to specify the creator fields and it should add and enable them without disabling the editor fields. Running disable and then enable also works.
0 Kudos
AndrewPerencsik
New Contributor
If I disable editor tracking, the disable is still active.  enable is active as well.  I would expect that before enabling, the enable would be active, and the disable would be inactive.  After enabling, the enable would be inactive, and the disable would be active, and then after a disable, the disable should be inactive, with the enable active.

Yes it should be that way as you describe. However, for beta 2 we are currently planning on removing these context commands, so you will have to bring up the tools via other means.
0 Kudos
AndrewPerencsik
New Contributor
If I add a createName and createDate through the enable gp tool, the length of the text field for createName is 0 length.  Is this expected?

Not expected. I've added text fields with the tool and they are 255 length, do yours not get information recorded into them when you make edits?
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Haven't tested editing yet, just the creation of the fields.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Andrew -

So, today, I see 255, so i will have to be watchful of this next time i enable.  So, are you the pe for tracking? 

Is this tracking capability a property of ArcGIS, where ArcGIS fully manages the values (like global ID), if so, I should not be able to edit these fields.  Currently, I can go back and overwrite the fields calc'd from GIS, in some situations.  I should see the columns headings as gray and not white.  Also, if I have a domain set for my editor field (which we do), and I add a new polygon, or cut a poly, my field is calculated correctly, but if I try and overwrite the value with my domain, I am able to select my domain, but when I click outside of the actual record, it defaults back to my GIS managed username that was entered after the change.  If I do not have a domain set, I have full access to overwrite.  Also, speaking of domains, if I add then try and validate features, the validation from the editor drop down, shows invalid features.  Is topology validation suppose to change any records, like last edit, currently, it does not?

Basically, I like the idea that I cannot overwrite, so I am keen on setting a domain to limit the editor from overwriting, so will probably do this with CreatorName as well.  Is this expected?
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Will editor tracking work with relationship classes, if we enable tracking, for both 1:M and 1:1?

No, but if you do a selection, open up the related table, then run an insert cursor, or something to the table, then yes, I am thinking should work in this way.
0 Kudos