Editing session doesn't work

01-13-2011 12:59 PM
CyrielleLaurent
New Contributor
Hi everybody,
It appears that my editing session is malfunctioning. I think this as an other bug of ArcMap Desktop version 10, maybe one of you has a solution to fix that.
When I open an editing session, it tells me that "there are no templates to show". In the present case all my layers are located in the same geodatabase so they should all be editable!
I've been having this problem since I upgraded to version 10.
I am hoping that ESRI will work on an update that will solve it; in the mean time if somebody has a solution it would be most helpful.

Thanks
cyrielle
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
FrankVignati
Occasional Contributor II
this may be the problem, if your layers are not visible the templates don't show up
so you can not edit or create an element if the layer in the TOC is not set to be visible
kind of annoying
0 Kudos
MelissaHall
New Contributor II
Hi everybody,
When I open an editing session, it tells me that "there are no templates to show". In the present case all my layers are located in the same geodatabase so they should all be editable!

Do you have a definition query on the layer?  Editing templates disappear for me as soon as I apply a definition query to a layer.  I found this thread http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/18194-editor-on-arcgis-10-desktop-problem-with-some-feature-templat... that suggested I change the template (right click on layer, editing features) and then you set the template to match the definition query (in my case this meant setting a county name) then it showed up for me without a problem.

This seems to be a specific instance of the you can't add features that would not be visible rule.  I have submitted an enhancement request that they set the template to match the definition query or send a message if they can't here https://na1.salesforce.com/ideas/viewIdea.apexp?id=087300000008J9d since it appears ESRI views this an an enhancement rather then a bug.
0 Kudos
DianneYunker1
New Contributor II
I was having the same issue and it was also because I had a def. query.  When I removed that temporarily (I copied it into a text file for safe-keeping) was then able to see the layers in the Create Features box and add points, etc.  Thanks for the great advise!

Dianne
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Occasional Contributor III
For more on feature templates and definition queries, see this blog entry:
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/01/20/best-practices-for-using-layer-definition-queries-while...

And for the enhancements to feature templates in ArcGIS 10.1, see the 10.1 beta help. 10.1 gives better feedback when templates are hidden (although it doesn't make any changes for you or update the default attribute value automatically):
http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/What_s_new_for_editing/016w0000002v000...
0 Kudos
MennoNijhuis1
New Contributor III
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I'm experiencing a similar problem and could not solve it following the solution posted.

I'm in Arcmap 10 editing a featureclass in a 9.3 pgdb. Because the fc contains many points that I don't want to see while editing, I applied a definition query on the date, excluding all points older than July 24th 2012:
[datum] > #07-23-2012 00:00:00#

No points do yet exist with date value 24-07-2012.
I then made a template with some attributes filled by default, some not and a default date (field "datum") of 24-7-2012.
This results in my template not showing in the template list.
Changing the definition query to another field, in which another default value is included does show the template, but not the query on the date field.
Is it possible that this has something to do with date syntax? The query writes the date as #mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm:ss#. Entering exactly the same date (07-24-2012 00:00:00 except the hashes, as these aren't accepted) into the feature template date field value doesn't work, neither does 07-24-2012, 24-07-2012 or any other syntax, with or without time.
More shockingly, also when setting the query to show only a date that is already present in the attribute table, and applying the same date to the feature template default date value, no feature template shows.
I have no other def query on this fc, no page definition, symbology is single symbol and I can see points when I change the def query to show values that are already present. So I guess it does not have anything to do with visibility, just the date syntax.
Please help me out before I have to resort to classic editing 🙂
0 Kudos